News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dimension of driver wheelbase

Started by djp, August 25, 2007, 11:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

GG,
He said he didn't want to run passenger trains!  ;)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Guilford Guy

Alex

robman

Just wondering if you have thought about running some of the smaller artics as I do. They work great on the smaller radius curves and as you are hauling frieght cars they should fit right in. The Bachmann 2-6-6-2 and the Mantua loggers could be a starting point. Cheers KiwiRob.
Modeling over there over here

djp

Hi Rob, i have the Mantua 2-6-6-2. Great little engine. So do you run the USRA 2-6-6-2 Bachmann engine on 18" curves? Read on some of your previous posts that you were having some drive problems. Glad you got it fixed. If you are running it on 18" curves could i trouble you to post a picture of it? Thanks.
Get Off My Train !!!

SteamGene

Since both the front and rear engine of the USRA 2-6-6-2 swivel, it performs like two x-6-x's, just like the Rivarossi C&O H8.  Now how GOOD it looks doing this is another matter.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

djp

Any idea on how the new 2-8-4 Berks from Bachmann will look and perform on 18" radius curves?
Get Off My Train !!!

Atlantic Central

djp,

While the new 2-8-4 may run on 18" radius, it most certianly will not look good doing so. 2-8-4's have a 18' scale wheelbase and then a wopping 22' of firebox and cab behind that which will overhang on sharp curves.

Sheldon

djp

Good grief forget it. It would probably look worse than my 2-10-2. LOL. I loved the look of the Berk and the price was equally good. Well i guess i'll have to stick to the smaller loco's. So far i have on my list
1] K4 4-6-2
2] 4-6-4 Hudson
3] 2-8-2 Mikado
4] 2-8-0 Consolidation
5] 2-10-0

I don't want anything smaller than that. Any more you can add would be highly appreciated. Low speed steamers. The slower the better. Out of these 5 i can afford to buy 3. My theme is freight. Whick one would you buy? All the pro's out there, your input would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Get Off My Train !!!

SteamGene

1] K4 4-6-2
2] 4-6-4 Hudson
3] 2-8-2 Mikado
4] 2-8-0 Consolidation
5] 2-10-0

I don't want anything smaller than that. Any more you can add would be highly appreciated. Low speed steamers. The slower the better. Out of these 5 i can afford to buy 3. My theme is freight. Whick one would you buy? All the pro's out there, your input would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Okay, the K4 Pacific was a PRR passenger locomotive, not found on any roads but the PRR and some of its subsidiaries, most of whom had a Belpaire firebox like the PRR K4, so strike the K4.
The Hudson also was a passenger loco.  The C&O tried to use their brand new Hudsons as freight locos when they went to all diesel passenger power in 1953.  It didn't work out. 
However, IHC is coming out with both the USRA light Mike and Pacific with new, small flanges.  I'd recommend them, though as of now they don't have a front operating coupler. 
The Spectrum Consolidation is a honey of a locomotive.  If I were you, I'd spend my money on three of them and renumber two, or buy undecorated and letter them as you wish. 
The PRR 2-10-0 was a large locomotive.  If you mean the Russian Decapod, it's small and apparently useful. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

djp

Looks like i have a No.1 loco already. Spectrum Consolidation.  ;D I will go for that as my first as i have heard everybody making a song and dance about that baby. So now i will keep a lookout for the USRA light mike and pacific made by IHC. Russian Decapod comes in at 4th place. [if finance permits]  ;D
Get Off My Train !!!