Started by djp, August 25, 2007, 11:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djp

Hi there, can anybody tell me the dimensions of the driver wheelbase of

1] 2-10-2
2] 4-8-2
3] 4-8-4
Thanks.

As an afterthought i meant HO scale not prototype. Thanks again.
Get Off My Train !!!

RAM

Are you talking about Bachmann's model?  If you are talking about the models, the only one I know for sure is the 4-8-4 is 80 inch.  My guess would be the 2-10-2 would be 62 or 63, the 4-8-2L 69 and 4-8-2H 73

SteamGene

Wheel base is the distance between the drivers from the middle of the first to the middle of the last.  This is a function of the driver diameter and the spacing between drivers.
Driver diameter is a function of the size of the individual driver.
Gene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Isambard

The actual driver wheelbase on my Bachmann Spectrum 2-10-2 Santa Fe type is approx. 2 and 15/16 inches (centre of front drivers to centre of rear drivers).

Atlantic Central

djp,

First, you need to tell us more specificly which locos. Bachmann makes several 4-8-4's, many with different wheel base and driver dimensions. same with 4-8-2.

And, do you want actual inches or scale feet or both? I can measure a 4-8-2 heavy if that is what you are looking for. I do not have the others.

RAM,

It pays to not quess about things you don't know. Which 4-8-4 with 80" drivers?

The N&W J is a 4-8-3 and has 70" drivers. The 4-8-2, both light and heavy have 69" drivers, and the USRA light 2-10-2 has 57" drivers.

Sheldon

djp

Sheldon, the 4-8-4 Niagara, the 4-8-2 Heavy mountain and the 2-10-2 Light. I have the 2-10-2 made by IHC so if you can measure your 4-8-2 heavy that will make it two engine dimensions i have. Please measure them in inches for me. Thanks. The reason i make this strange request is because my 2-10-2 does a terrible job negotiating 18" curves at low speeds. So if the other two engines have the same wheelbase [i intend buying both] then i know it will be a waste for me. I will have to settle for the K4 4-6-2. Thanks Sheldon for the diameter dimensions. Judging from that i think all three engines will have approximately the same wheelbase.
Get Off My Train !!!

Atlantic Central

djp,

I can tell you without measuring it that the Bachmann USRA Heavy Mountain will NOT run on 18" radius curves. Bachmann has a note in the packaging recommending 22" minimum, and even that is pushing it in my opinion.

None of these large locos run well or look good on such small curves. This has been a point of much discussion on this board over the years. It is a major reason why those of us with experiance in the hobby keep calling for more medium sized steam, 2-8-2's, 4-6-0's etc.

Sheldon

SteamGene

DJP,
Sheldon is right.  I'm amazed you can get your 2-10-2 to negotiate an 18" curve.  It really must look strange doing so.  You might want to look into smaller locomotives, especially if all your curves are 18 inch.  Go for the Spectrum 2-8-0, 2-10-0, 4-6-0, or the IHC 2-8-2 or 4-6-2.  But if you buy any IHC, make sure they are the newer ones and maybe wait until the newest ones with the smaller flanges are released.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

djp

Sheldon and Gene, thanks for the help there, i guess the 4-8-2 is out for me. Well i am sure i will be happy with the 4-6-2. My 2-10-2 does a terrible job going round those curves and looks...... forget it. You guys would probably get a heart attack seeing it. I like to run my loco's ultra slow so you can just imagine how this baby goes round the curve. I am afraid it will one day burn the motor out or end up grinding some gears. I was surfing online and internettrains.com says they are getting stock of the new IHC 4-6-2 in a month or so. I'll keep a check on that . Thanks once again gents, saved me from making another blunder and made my mind up for me. Medium sized locos from now onwards.
Get Off My Train !!!

SteamGene

Keep in mind that the normal job of a 4-6-2 was hauling passenger trains.  Yes, a few railroads used them for light, fast freight, but when one thinks "4-6-2," one thinks a 5-8 car heavyweight passenger train.   If you want the 4-6-2 and passenger cars, cosider Athearn or the IHC 72 footers. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

djp

Gene, my theme is only freight. No passenger cars. What other loco would you suggest next after the 4-6-8? I am planning on buying two steamers, so any suggestions would be welcome. I would prefer a loco with good low speed control. I, at the moment have the Bachmann EZ command. So till i upgrade and am able to control the CV's for voltage and speed steps some good low speed steamers is what i am looking for. Thanks for your time.
Get Off My Train !!!

Hoople

DJP, I can say otherwise. I own a heavy mountain and I own one of the daylights.

They both can do 18"s, the 4-8-2 needs to have the tender connected throught the rear hole, but it'll do it. The 4-8-4 glides right through, it has lots of sideplay.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

SteamGene

DJP, small, good current freight steam power:
Spectrum 2-8-0, 2-10-0
IHC 2-8-0, 2-8-2, 2-6-? (I can't remember if they have a Mogul or a Prarie) (Hold out for the new flanges)
BLI USRA light 2-8-2
Price wise, from lowest to highest: IHC, Spectrum, BLI
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

djp

Thanks Gene for all that information and help you have given me. I will keep a lookput for the IHC engines and check out the Bachmann ones too. I will be asking you questions along the way if that's ok with you.
Get Off My Train !!!

Guilford Guy

Quote from: SteamGene on August 27, 2007, 02:52:13 PM
Keep in mind that the normal job of a 4-6-2 was hauling passenger trains.  Yes, a few railroads used them for light, fast freight, but when one thinks "4-6-2," one thinks a 5-8 car heavyweight passenger train.   If you want the 4-6-2 and passenger cars, cosider Athearn or the IHC 72 footers. 
Gene
Another Option for a more local passenger train, is the spectrum NYC heavyweights with 2 Axle trucks. A combine and 4-5 coaches. :D :)
Alex