News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K27 chuff sensors

Started by davesimmons, June 21, 2013, 04:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davesimmons

I am trying to fit the phoenix sound unit PB9 to my K27. I have connected up the unit and have sounds, but am at a loss as to how to use the chuff sensors in the cylinders, am trying to follow instructions which seem to indicate the need to get power into the sensor units before I can get a response? Can anyone help please?? Not very electronically wise so please keep it as simple as possible??
I have installed this sound unit in a previous K27 loco, but then used a reed switch and magnets on the rear axle, worked fine, is this the best way to go?

Many thanks for any help

mudhen

If you still have trouble and can't get it to work, let me know and I will send you a link to build a circuit board that works the sensors, I have built 2 and it is very simple to build. The quartering is perfect too !

Tony Walsham

Hello Dave.
You will have to invert the chuff signal to make it work with a P8, PB9 or PB11 using on board battery power and Radio Control.  Not sure how this will work with regular track power.

No need to build a special pcb.  You can add the two components direct to the stock Bachmann socket pcb.
All this takes is a small open collector transistor (I use a BC337) and a .1 mfd filtering capacitor.
This shows how to wire it up.

http://www.rcs-rc.com/app/webroot/store/PDF/Instructions/Diagrams/PnP-BKv3.pdf
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

grsman

Quote from: mudhen on June 21, 2013, 10:20:04 PM
If you still have trouble and can't get it to work, let me know and I will send you a link to build a circuit board that works the sensors, I have built 2 and it is very simple to build. The quartering is perfect too !
Mudhen
would you provide the link to the circuit board?
Thanks
Tom

mudhen

Tom,
You need to google the Ottawa valley garden railway society ( ovgr garden railway ).
On the left side of the home page, scroll down to sound, open it and go to Phoenix sound in the Backmann K-27.
I have 2 and they work great. I followed the instructions word for word. The local electronics store had all the items needed and less than a few hours, it was on board running.
I particularly like the slow speed quartering chuff.

davesimmons

Hi each
Thank you all for the replies, greatly appreciated. I forgot to mention in my original query that I was running old fashioned track power?? not digital and not being very up on electronics, didn't want to mangle expensive sound boards or cook the K27 boards!
However, being very much mechanically minded, I have solved the problem with good old fashioned reed switch and magnets.
I have made a small pcb using stripboard? which is attached via the screws in the cover plate over the front pony truck pivot, and fixed a small reed switch close to the front axle, where the 4 magnets are glued on. The reed switch is aimed lengthways between the frames, and allows for the substantial sideways movement of the axle, while still working. The quartering of the magnets may not be perfect, but it sounds great!!
It was a bit fiddly but it works and I am a very happy bunny. I again thank all for your replies

Davesimmons

davesimmons

Hi again, me with the chuff sensors?

As I previously said my K27 is up and running with the reeds and magnets but sometimes goes a bit haywire running light engine and on 4 foot radius :( curves, as a point of info the Phoenix board is a PB11 v6, don't know how much difference this makes, or whether this model is designed for digital?
I did look at the OVGRS web site and found some useful info, but nothing that refers directly to the PB11v6 sound board, maybe I should ask Phoenix for help?

Loco Bill Canelos

Can't hurt to ask Phoenix for help, you will get a real person who is knowledgeable and friendly!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Chuck N

I'm not exactly sure where you are having a problem.  I have several engines where I have reed switches for chuff and bell and whistle.  The bell and whistle is set up for track magnets.  Some times the chuff gets a hiccup going over the track magnet.  Chuck