Mr. Bachmann, a technical question for you

Started by Penn_senseless, July 15, 2013, 12:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn_senseless

Im in the process of building a northeast corridor electric catenary layout in HO scale based on the New Haven Railroad of the 1960s or amtrak in the mid to late 1970's

With your fabulous model of the New Haven E33 currently discontinued, and difficult to acquire from retailers, even the large mail order houses ( I dont use ebay). I would like to assemble a loco from parts..even if its just a non powered dummy.

Can you tell me if the E33 shell available from your parts dept. will fit on the chassis of your current E60, or even the spectrum SD 45?

Or...

If an E60 body shell will fit onto the chassis of the E33 (I have a complete e33, but then I could just go the amtrak route instead. From what I can see from pictures on the parts site, it looks like that might work. They may be of similar length. i am an accomplished model and even if its tight, i could probably make it close.

Thanks for your time and keep up the good work.

Cheers

Doneldon

Penn-

You can also repaint!

-- D

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: Penn_senseless on July 15, 2013, 12:59:47 PM
Im in the process of building a northeast corridor electric catenary layout in HO scale based on the New Haven Railroad of the 1960s or amtrak in the mid to late 1970's

With your fabulous model of the New Haven E33 currently discontinued, and difficult to acquire from retailers, even the large mail order houses ( I dont use ebay). I would like to assemble a loco from parts..even if its just a non powered dummy.

Can you tell me if the E33 shell available from your parts dept. will fit on the chassis of your current E60, or even the spectrum SD 45?

Or...

If an E60 body shell will fit onto the chassis of the E33 (I have a complete e33, but then I could just go the amtrak route instead. From what I can see from pictures on the parts site, it looks like that might work. They may be of similar length. i am an accomplished model and even if its tight, i could probably make it close.

Thanks for your time and keep up the good work.

Cheers

I remember several years ago working at a hobby shop we couldnt get rid of those. They were a nice model tho. Kinda wish i got one now though. I plan on doing something like the howard street tunnel on my layout when i build it and a E33 could be used to tow the steam trains through, though it be a bit too modern no one does steam era electrics that i know of.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Penn_senseless

From pictures ive seen of the New Haven during the 60's, they usually employed the E33's in pairs. so repainting isnt an option! but thanks for the reply, Donald.

B&O: doesnt it figure! You always want something after it disappears. Id love to have some Mehano GG1's. They are getting tough to find. Id love to see Spectrum do an AFFORDABLE GG1 in HO scale like ahm/ihc/mehano. I can't say that word for what's out now. Nice...but you need a bank loan for it.

Ive looked at pictures on the Bachmann parts page. It looks like the sd45 chassis is similar to the e33. For the purposes of making an unpowered dummy unit, that may do the trick. The EP chassis might work as well. At least the New Haven shells and pantos are available.

Cheers

Doneldon

Quote from: Penn_senseless on July 15, 2013, 04:54:26 PM
From pictures ive seen of the New Haven during the 60's, they usually employed the E33's in pairs. so repainting isnt an option!

Penn-

Selective compression? Your train can't be as long as the prototype unless you have an enormous layout and
two locos pulling four or five cars will look ridiculous. But one would look just right.
                                                                                                                             -- D

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: Penn_senseless on July 15, 2013, 04:54:26 PM

B&O: doesnt it figure! You always want something after it disappears. Id love to have some Mehano GG1's. They are getting tough to find. Id love to see Spectrum do an AFFORDABLE GG1 in HO scale like ahm/ihc/mehano. I can't say that word for what's out now. Nice...but you need a bank loan for it.
Cheers

To be honest i just thought of the idea of repainting on into B&O as a tunnel helper. (B&O had the first electric mainline on a class 1 railroad from Camden Station through howard street tunnel0, i forget were it ended. the the fumes from the steam engines through the mile+ plus the grade would have made steam engines slip like crazy and probably kill the crews)

And I'm thinking about modeling a picture i seen in a book with a GG1, there is a photo of a set of B&O F units hauling a GG1 with its train on the B&O to avoid an accident on the NEC.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

JNXT 7707

Quote from: Penn_senseless on July 15, 2013, 12:59:47 PM
( I dont use ebay).

And I was just thinking "maybe ebay" when I started reading your post.  ::)

Any train shows in your area or fairly close by? Sometimes it's amazing what you can find at those things. Train shows and ebay pretty much run my railroad.
Jerry

Modeling the JNXT RR from its headquarters in Buzzardly, Texas.
Future home of the National C-Liner Museum.