News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tender shorting out system.

Started by Narrowgauge12, August 02, 2013, 09:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narrowgauge12

Hi, i recently bought a Dynamis Sound commander set from a local hobby shop, and i love it, but after a day of use i noticed that the first tender truck was messed up. I checked to see if the little copper contact was good which it was. Every time i got around a curve it would pick the truck off the track making a short. Then today when i applid just a little bit of power, the system would shut off. Any suggestions?           
Thanks for the help.
(P.S. this is my third 2-8-0 and the only one ive had problems with, and my other 2 are the older ones.)

rogertra

Check to ensure the wheels on the tender are correctly oriented so one truck the insulated wheels are on the right side and on the other truck the insulated wheels are on the left side.  I do not think it matters which truck has left or right insulated wheels providing they are on different sides.  If it does matter, the simple swap the sides around.

That is the most common cause of shorts.

Narrowgauge12

Well, the problem is for me, is there one solid metal wheel that has a copper contact that connects electricity flow to the tender contacts and into the sound decoder.

rogertra

Quote from: Narrowgauge12 on August 02, 2013, 10:37:49 PM
Well, the problem is for me, is there one solid metal wheel that has a copper contact that connects electricity flow to the tender contacts and into the sound decoder.

Sorry but I just don't understand what you mean.  :(

jonathan

The one common problem with 2-8-0's is the front tender truck not wanting to sit all the way down on the tracks.  This is especially true with ANY brand new 2-8-0.  

The trick is to get the wire connections a little loose so all the tender's weight can seat the truck.  Over time, this will normally correct itself as you run the loco.  

I try to orient the wires to they don't get caught up in the draw bar.  Some have also added a little weight to the front of the tender.

DCC is rather sensitive.  Instead of a short, the loco may simply be shutting off because it's not getting enough current when the front truck lifts off the track.

Spent some time loosening the tender connection and/or add a little weight to the front of the tender.  Just a couple of options for you.

Regards,

Jonathan

Rod in PA

I was having a similar problem with a recently purchased 2-8-0, item #51312.  The front tender truck would derail at a certain spot each time.  The wires between the loco and tend were rather stiff, and as Jonathan suggested, I positioned the wires so they didn't interfear with the draw bar.  I also loosened the draw bar screw a little, which allowed it to move more freely.  And, one final adjustment, which seemed to be the cure,  was to back off the front truck screw allowing the truck to move freely in all directions.  Hope this helps you.

Good luck,
Rod

Doneldon

NG12-

The wires between the loco and tender always seem to be a problem on this model. Weight helps hold the front of the tender down but the wires can still exert some sideways pressure at the front of the tender and cause trouble. Try this as part of your fix: Instead of having the shortest possible wire between the loco and tender, use the full length. Then, instead of having the wire bend from side to side on curves and turnouts, make a vertical loop so the flexing is along a vertical dimension and is more of a twist than a bend. This reduces the wire's sideways effort almost to zero and it only takes a few seconds to do it.

Good luck with your Connie.

-- D

rogertra

Now I understand.  :)

Lead tender trucks are a problem with every loco, except the P2K combined tender drawbar and electrical coupling.  That should have been made an industry standard.  You hear that B-Man?

This is why I always fiddle with the wires and add a fair bit of weight, as much as I can cram into every tender directly over the front truck.

Narrowgauge12

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i have now fixed the problem and am much happier.  :D
Thanks again.

Doneldon

Quote from: Narrowgauge12 on August 03, 2013, 11:13:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i have now fixed the problem and am much happier.  :D
Thanks again.

NG12-

What worked?

-- D