News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Scale S-4 - Speed Control?

Started by spookshow, August 20, 2013, 07:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookshow

Looking at the docs for the S-4 decoder, it appears that the only CV available for adjusting speed control is CV2 (vstart). Without having access to CV6 (vmid), CV5 (vmax) or any of the speed table CV's, is there any way to change the overall speed spectrum of the locomotive? For example, if I wanted a higher top-end speed or wanted to speed-match it with another loco?

Thanks,
-Mark

skipgear

Mark,
Unfortunately, I haven't seen a single Bachmann decoder, except the Tsunami equipped sound units, that have anything but Vmin, Accel, and Decel. They run at max speed now. You have to match the other loco to theirs. Taking the decoder out or changing it for another does not increase top speed.

I really applaud Bachmann for gearing the locos for realistic working speeds. Not many switchers would go over 40mph wide open anyhow.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

spookshow

Actually, I like the speed spectrum on mine (it being very realistic). I was just curious to know if it could be changed (IE, info for my website).

So, you think it's the gearing that's responsible for the low top-end? I haven't been able to determine if it's the gearing, the motor or the decoder (or all of the above).

Thanks,
-Mark

skipgear

When Chris pulled the decoder out of his 44T, speed did not change. I have done a few decoderectomies on the 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 for people and they do not change speed range. All these decoders are based on the same logic chip so I can only assume the same will be true with the S-4.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950