News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EM-1 a comin'. How about a caboose?

Started by dtpowell, August 24, 2013, 05:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtpowell

I've got my first EM-1 on order. So, how about a B&O caboose? The northeastern caboose will do nicely. Just
need it lettered Baltimore and Ohio with the Capitol Dome. I have the unlettered version and realize I could decal it. However, I thought it might be nice if Bachmann offered one lettered. Any chances?

skipgear

Fox Valley Models should have an announcement to solve that problem in a month or so.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

dtpowell

Thanks Skipgear, Your news made my day.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: dtpowell on August 24, 2013, 05:02:02 PM
I've got my first EM-1 on order. So, how about a B&O caboose? The northeastern caboose will do nicely. Just
need it lettered Baltimore and Ohio with the Capitol Dome. I have the unlettered version and realize I could decal it. However, I thought it might be nice if Bachmann offered one lettered. Any chances?

Affordable HO Scale B&O Cabooses for steam era are hard to coem by as well, I took the NE Caboose and did my own B&O Caboose using a mix of CHAMP and Microscale Decals

Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

skipgear

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on August 26, 2013, 10:57:30 AM
Quote from: dtpowell on August 24, 2013, 05:02:02 PM

Affordable HO Scale B&O Cabooses for steam era are hard to coem by as well, I took the NE Caboose and did my own B&O Caboose using a mix of CHAMP and Microscale Decals

There are plenty of good HO B&O caboose options including Wagontops. Some may only come in kit form but they are out there. Road specific cabooses will never be inexpensive because you are limiting your market to only people interested in that road so you will never sell as many as a generic caboose that can be sold to almost anybody when you put their road on the side of it.

The NE caboose makes a decent stand in when there is nothing else available and is certainly better than the Santa Fe offset cupola cabooses that have been used for years. I think the better looking option is the Atlas Trainman C&O major caboose.

There is currently a push to get an HO and N scale I-1 kit to market. The company has done it in S scale and is considering converting the kit to other scales if there is enough interest.

For the N scalers out there. You have currently 1 kit option, soon to be replaced by a RTR version...

The JNJ kits are no longer produced but there are some remaining out there on store shelves.

You can always scratch build an I-1 or I-5. They are not too dificult to build, straight sides and no real odd angles.

Here is an I-1 from an aborted laser cut kit that never made it to the open market:

and a scratch built N&W CF cabin:

Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950