News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

spectrum j 4-8-4

Started by dkentltd, August 31, 2007, 04:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkentltd

Mr. Bachman,
Is there a way to make this loco run on 18" radius corners?

SteamGene

There shouldn't be.  This is a big, rigid base steam locomotive.  It needs wide curves to look good.  The old ones, before Spectrum (BS?),  did - when they ran. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ta152h0

After some thinking, I am guessing you can take a DREMEL and gring off the flanges on the inside drivers :D

the Bach-man

Dear dken,
Your best bet is to increase your radii or use smaller locos. Filing flanges is NOT a good idea!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

djp

There is a post titled " Dimensions Of Driver Wheelbase" started by me. If you surf through it you will see a few locomotives recomended by the experienced RR modellers that will negotiate 18" curves. I have a 2-10-2 and am very unhappy with the way it goes around the 18" curves. It looks funny too. I have heard that the 4-8-4 will have an equally hard time, unless taken round the curves at 3/4 to full speed. If you run your trains real fast then you might be happy with the performance. But for godssake don't touch a Dremel to the flanges. To do something like grinding the flanges you will need a bigtime jig and ........ LOL forget it. Good luck with your quest, do let me know if you pickup some good steam. I am on the hunt too.
Get Off My Train !!!