News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sharks vs. FT's

Started by sour rails, August 31, 2007, 10:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sour rails

Hey all, I was just wondering about the new sharks.  As for this style of deisel, why is Bachmann only selling the FT and the sharks?  I much prefer the F9 over the FT; however, above all, I prefer the E6 and E8.  I somewhat like the sharks, but they look quite odd without the porthole windows on the sides.
    As to the other type of deisel, Bachmann sells a large variety of GPs, SDs, and the Fairbanks.

Does anyone else feel the same way about this? :(
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

Conrail Quality

Quote from: sour rails on August 31, 2007, 10:21:15 PM
 As for this style of deisel, why is Bachmann only selling the FT and the sharks?

Probably because the market is saturated with E and F models of various types, at all levels of price and quality. Bachmann simply doesn't see a market niche in it for the early EMD's. Bachmann also does not appear to be willing to challenge Atlas for the switcher market, so there's not much else left except some more obscure models like the sharks.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Woody Elmore

There are many models of the various F units by EMD. It was the first HO diesel to be done in plastic - first by Globe and then later by Athearn when they bought Globe. This was over 50 years ago. Since then there have been a lot of companies producing EMD models in plastic and brass.

The FT was the pioneer and hadn't previously been mass produced. It was done in brass and Cary made white metal shells for Hobbytown mechanisms. Bachmann were filling a niche in the market, same for the Baldwin sharks. East coast modellers of the post WWII era are very happy to see sharks. Again, bachmann is filling a niche market and the models are happily received.

jayl1

Stewart did FTs a few years ago - A powered, B dummy.  Some road names are still available on auction sites.

spookyac47

In HO Scale:
Stewart (Now Bowser) lists FT, F3, F7 and F9 locomotives.
Intermountain lists FT, F3, F7, FP7, & FP9
Athearn lists F7
Athearn Genesis lists F2, F3, F7, and F9
BLI/PCM lists the F3 & F7 and E3, E6, E7, E8, & E9
Walthers/P2k lists the F7, E3, E6, E7, E8, & E9
Walthers/P1K lists the F3
BLI/PCM may produce the Sharknose
Model Power used to produce the Sharknose
E-R Models used to produce the Sharknose
MRC used to list an F7

(The Bachmann Sharknose appears to be a repackaged E-R Models Sharknose.)

And I'm sure there are a few more out there,including brass.

Don
Lower Arizona

Dr EMD

Add Tyco, Life-Like, Varney, and Cox to the list of EMD bulldog nose locomotives which were produced at one time (Model Power also imported the Rocco E7 and Con-Cor took over the production of the Atlas/Rocco FP7).

So the hobby does not need another entry level F unit. NO, unless it is something better that what was offered before (see Walthers P2K F7).
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

Car Bud

I have several CN Rail zebra stripe ROCO Austria Sharknose A's and Bs but I don't know if CN ever had Sharks since I've never seen Sharks in any photos of CN diesels.Can anyone verify wether these CN Sharks are models of the real thing or just marketed for Canadian HO scale Train Bufs---Carbud--(Bill in Vic BC)

Woody Elmore

The original purchasers of the sharknose were the B&O, NYC and PRR. Later, some used units were sold to the Monongahela RR and the D&H.

PhilipCal

Quote from: Car Bud on September 11, 2007, 02:42:52 AM
I have several CN Rail zebra stripe ROCO Austria Sharknose A's and Bs but I don't know if CN ever had Sharks since I've never seen Sharks in any photos of CN diesels.Can anyone verify wether these CN Sharks are models of the real thing or just marketed for Canadian HO scale Train Bufs---Carbud--(Bill in Vic BC)
Greetings Bill. I'm not an expert on CN power, but I'm almost certain they didn't own any Baldwin Sharks. As modelers, we have to be a little careful concerning what some manufacturors offer. Example: It's possible to get a steam engine painted in Amtrak colors. Some locomotives are unique to certain roads. The Southern Pacific cab-ahead steam locomotives are one example of that. I'm certain that many of our colleagues will be pleased with the Bachman Sharks. Especially 1950's Pennsylvania modelers, or possible some folks modeling D&H in the late 1970's.

Conrail Quality

Who says Amtrak Steam is a myth? ;D

Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

PhilipCal

I stand corrected. OK, I'll take an SP GS-4 anyday!! Great photos. Thanks, Conrail!!

GlennW

As for Amtrak Steam, for a time in the 80's Engine #614 pulled the Cardinal from Huntington to Hinton  WVA in the New River Gorge. The F40's were used to provide HEP power while the train was used to run steam.

Pictures of this are rare, but they do exist.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: PhilipCal on September 21, 2007, 03:25:50 PM
Quote from: Car Bud on September 11, 2007, 02:42:52 AM
Greetings Bill. I'm not an expert on CN power, but I'm almost certain they didn't own any Baldwin Sharks. As modelers, we have to be a little careful concerning what some manufacturors offer. Example: It's possible to get a steam engine painted in Amtrak colors. Some locomotives are unique to certain roads. The Southern Pacific cab-ahead steam locomotives are one example of that. I'm certain that many of our colleagues will be pleased with the Bachman Sharks. Especially 1950's Pennsylvania modelers, or possible some folks modeling D&H in the late 1970's.

This site would indicate no Sharks for CN Rail
http://phillip.blancher.ca/cnroster/viewmodel.php
Pacific Northern