Allegheny, Alleghany, Allegany

Started by Jake, August 31, 2007, 11:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

It seems there have been disputes over the spelling of the word "Allegheny" (Alleghany, Allegany) between someone who shall remain nameless *cough*Gene*cough* and other members. Not anything bad by far, but I figure I'll settle this little spelling problem. After looking up the Alleghenies (Alleghanies, Alleganies...) for a bit of research for the AC&S, and found that it had a section on the spelling of the name.  The name is derived from the Allegheny (no other spellings here...I'll explain a few lines down) river, which when translated Lenape Indian roughly means "Fine River" (The translation may not be totally correct, as no one is exactly sure, but Fine River is the commonly accepted translation) The reason that there are no other spellings for the Allegheny river is because it was once part of New France. So therefore, Allegheny is the french spelling, which since I am about 2/3s french (And Damn proud of it! Pardon my french.  :D) is the spelling I use. But what about the Alleghany Subdivision of the Chesapeake & Ohio? Alleghany is the English spelling, which Gene being a former English teacher (Correct me if I am wrong, Gene) is what Gene uses. But what about Allegany? Being the lesser used of the three, it was just one of the spellings John Norton used around 1810 to refer to the mountains in Tennessee & Georgia.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

RAM

My dictionary only has Allegheny. The Allegheny river and the Allegheny  mountains.   A google search on Alleghany had about 6 hits and then  it asked, do you mean Allegheny.

Jake

Did you check wikipedia?  ;) (Yes I do know that the info there isn't always 100% corect since it a publicly edited encyclopedia)
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

SteamGene

The reason the Alleghany Division (I think it was a sub-division, but I'm not sure) was called and spelled that is because it went over the mountains and had its highest point at Alleghany, West Virginia.   If you find a picture of the station sign, you will see it spelled "Alleghany." 
This is not the only place where there are disputes between states.  Most of you are aware that the state above Louisiana (with two different pronunciations: Lewziana, and Loweziana) is Arkansas, pronounced Arcansaw, which is next to Kansas, pronounced Canzus.  What few realize that in Kansas, the Arkansas River is pronounced Arcanzus and in Arkansas it is against the law to mispronounce the state's name. 
Yes, among other things I'm a retired English teacher who is right now very thankful that Eaton Fundemental Middle School was able to hire a new 8th grade langauage arts teacher yesterday or guess where I'd be Tuesday!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Conrail Quality

I'm suprised no one's mentioned the Alleghany Company, which at one point was the most powerful rialroad holding company in America, controlling the Nickel Plate, Missourri Pacific, Pere Marquette, Chesapeake  Ohio, and others.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

duker1

Gene~Exclamation point or question mark after 'Tuesday'?

What about Alley-Gainey? A cross between a 'gator' and Gainesville, FL.

Or Loseraina? Or Loser State University?

Or pronounce the capital of Kentucky..Louis ville or Louie ville?

The Duke....
Anacoco, Loseraina

Go 'Noles!!

Jake

Quote from: duker1 on September 01, 2007, 02:08:02 PM
Gene~Exclamation point or question mark after 'Tuesday'?

What about Alley-Gainey? A cross between a 'gator' and Gainesville, FL.

Or Loseraina? Or Loser State University?

Or pronounce the capital of Kentucky..Louis ville or Louie ville?
The Duke....
Anacoco, Loseraina

Go 'Noles!!

What about Loo-a-vill?  ;)
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

Woody Elmore

There is a parkway in the Bronx called Mosholu Parkway. If you are from the Bronx you call it "Moshula." How about the proper pronunciation of Yemassee, South Carolina or Kissimee, Florida?

I went to college with a guy from Madison, Wisconsin. He said that Wisconsin should be properly pronounced; "cheese."

thirdrail

Since when is Lou-uh-vul the capital of Kentucky? When I went to school, admittedly a long time ago, the capital of Kentucky was Frankfort. BTW, Lou-uh-vul is how the folks at the L&N Railroad headquarters pronounced it.  8)

SteamGene

I'll let all of you guess at the proper pronunciation of Poquosn, Staunton, and Norfolk.  :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

duker1

:) 3rd rail gets a gold star!!

Guess will have to ash Virginia about the correct pronunciation, Gene.

The Duke....