News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0, circus #49, chassis upgrade ?

Started by doug c, October 28, 2013, 07:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug c

Would chassis cat. listed CH-90047 (which i presume at 50usd) would be metal side rods & upgraded nether regions, (since over a decade ago the original #49 was built) be compatible  ?

According to their cat'  further into it the shell is  "Model: 900XX-LS-90020 ".

Hearing about their 20% sale till the 2nd has me looking  (also at what I maybe/should buy as spares from the RailTruck dept., as i do now have a unit heading this way)

Thank you for any info/input !

doug c

p.s. this loco plus tender actually has never been run !
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

Bucksco

You should contact the service/parts department for clarification.

Loco Bill Canelos

I believe the chassis marked CH-90047 is the one that goes with the Christmas set 90047 The Wonderland Flyer and does have the metal Stepenson valve gear.  But there were actually two sets 90047 made. One with Walshearts Valve gear and the other with Stephenson Valve gear.  this chassis is the chassis associated with the Set 90047 first run as a special set for Boscov's Department stores in 2006 and a year later was put in the Bachmann Catalog as a regular offering.

90047*   NP&S   Wonderland Flyer    2004   Ltd Run   Mixed   1225   Annie   Green Gon with Xmas gifts    NP&S Box 30647   Combine NP&S 1
90047   Notes:   Limited Run for Sam's Club with Anniversary 4-6-0 Has the complex Walchaert,s valve gear 5000 Sets made for 2004 only. Green gondola has two wreaths on the side                        

90047B   NP&S   Wonderland Flyer    2006   Ltd Run   Mixed   1225   Annie   Green Gon with Xmas gifts    NP&S Box 30647   Combine NP&S 1
90047B   Notes    Special run for Boscov's has Stephenson valve gear, gondola & boxcar have no blt date combine is the same.  The green gondola has two wreaths on the side.                        

Set 90020 was a circus set called The Ringmaster in which the 4-6-0 locomotive was only made with the plastic side rods.  There are no matching Chassis for this set available.  The original loco has red wheels and steam chests, and the short red pilot but none of the on sale chassis have these colors.

So if color makes no difference to you any of the $30 chassis will work for you if they have the short pilot.  You could paint the wheels centers and steam chests if it was important to you.

You may be able to install your 90020 shell onto the CH-90047 $50 chassis, but I am told there are some fitting differences that can be overcome by an experienced modeler.    I have not tried to make the switch myself so I make no guarantee's about it.

I hope this clarifies things a little for you.  The prices are very cheap and with the additional 20% off actually a steal.

If your original set has either the version 2,3,or 4, chassis it would be worth getting a replacement chassis since all are version 5.

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

doug c

Thanks  Bill !

Further after reading your versions post on other (olde) thread; http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7062.0.html     

I rolled #49 in hand,  saw a hump midline btwn rear drivers,   grabbed rear driver wheel and (subsequently mid' un)  in attempt to turn  . . . . would not turn  so presume a version 4 (or seized up) !?   Time for a  'place on track and power up' test.   lol

anyways did place an order for another chassis plus other various parts ;)

later,
doug c
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

Narrowgauge12

I plan on doing the same thing to my Tweetsie 12. I did some look into it and basically the chassis on the standard locomotive is the same as the one with metal valve gear with the only difference being it has metal side rods. If not you could always get the chassis and pull the drivers/side rods off and install them onto the old drivers. Hope that helps! :)