News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

track types

Started by new2rail, November 07, 2013, 02:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new2rail

I'm building an HO platform; is it ok to mix silver nickel track with steel alloy switches?

jbrock27

If the code (rail height) is the same for track and switches there is no reason I can think of why the 2 should not be able to work together.  You may need to clean the steel track more often than the N/S.
I take it this is matter of using what you have on hand or is available to you?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

new two-

Yes, you can use both types of track. You can also use any other track you have around although you might find yourself doing some pretty creative work getting the rails to line up. It's simplest to stick with one kind of track from one manufacturer. That resolves the issues of different rail sizes and different ways of connecting the sections. The letter issue only applies to track with integral roadbed. However, you may not be pleased with your steel alloy track over the long haul. Steel isn't a great conductor and, more important, it corrodes readily and its corrosion is non-conductive. I suggest that you stick with one kind of track and nickel-silver rail. If finance require you to use the black roadbed track, don't permanently attach it to your layout. Leave it loose or screw it down so you can replace it when finances permit.
                                                                                                                                                                         -- D

jward

or.... you could use the black roadbed track on sidings or other track where you can keep your locomotives off of it. at the ends of a siding, only your cars will ever roll on it, so electrical contact will not be a problem.

if you ballast your track, you won't notice where one type ends and the other begins.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

new2rail

Thanks for the replies. After reconsidering the steel alloy track with the possible power and cleaning concerns I will stick to the nickel silver track. Thanks again for your thoughts.

jbrock27

Excellent decision.

Good luck with your layout!
Keep Calm and Carry On

ALCO1000

Quote from: new2rail on November 07, 2013, 02:55:26 PM
I'm building an HO platform; is it ok to mix silver nickel track with steel alloy switches?
Dissimilar metals and electricity add a little moisture and you will get electro corrosion in time at the connectors between the metals unless you solder them properly together, Best in the long run if it can be afforded to invest in all nickle silver rail ,best investment to start out!,Good LUCK, I hope this helps!

jbrock27

Ehh...
But I agree using the right soldering paste and solder reduces the possibility of galvanic corrosion occurring.  Of course it is always a good idea to keep water/moisture away from the rails.
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on November 14, 2013, 12:32:43 PM
Ehh...
But I agree using the right soldering paste and solder reduces the possibility of galvanic corrosion occurring.  Of course it is always a good idea to keep water/moisture away from the rails.

Little difficult to do when you're ballasting your track.  :-)

Doneldon

Quote from: rogertra on November 14, 2013, 01:05:41 PM
Quote from: jbrock27 on November 14, 2013, 12:32:43 PM
Ehh...
Little difficult to do when you're ballasting your track.  :-)

Roger-

True, but that's only temporary. The problems are far worse if there is chronic dampness.

-- D

jbrock27

Indeed Roger.  Oh the dilemma...
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

there is no dilemma here. it is extremely difficult to solder to steel rail, so if you want soldered connections nickel silver is your only option. from my experience, soldering steel track will result in a poor connection, rusting of the rail from the flux you have to use, and melted ties because the steel takes longer to heat.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

I agree with you, there is no dilemma here.  I was being facetious concerning keeping water away from the track/using water to ballast the track. 

I also agree with you 100% about the difficulties with steel and have never been a proponent of steel track.  But, since we are being so literal and exacting here, I will say that n/s is not the only soldering option as brass can easily be soldered.  But the OP never asked about soldering track, he only asked if it was "ok" to use steel and n/s track together.  The answer to that question as presented, is "yes".  Please see I had asked the OP if his question involved trying to use what he had on hand.  He never answered.  I don't try to assume people's circumstances, their age, skill level or what is best for them.  If they ask that, I will provide that type of answer.  For all I know, they're on their last dime. 
Soldering somehow came up in this topic and I only mentioned soldering in response to Alcos concern for galvanic corrosion between unlike metals.  Please see I commended the OP on his choice to go all n/s which he appears to have decided based on Doc presenting the advantages of going with all n/s. 
My understanding of soldering paste's ability to prevent corrosion and your thought on that, appear to be different, but from a practical standpoint, I don't have any plans on putting it to the test since I don't use steel track beyond a test track.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

I could and did put it to the test. before I started laying my own track, I used whatever sectional track I had on hand. anywhere I tried to solder steel rail it rusted.

with regards to galvanic corrosion, I don't think it would be much of a problem. after all, even steel rail track uses nickel silver rail joiners.

brass is easy to solder to, as long as it's clean.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Yes, I fully appreciate the days of using whatever was on hand.

Jeff, was the rust on the outside of the rail or the top?  If only on the side, did the rust effect electrical continuity?  I thought steel track came with steel rail joiners and do see steel rail joiners for sale in places.  I am interested in hearing your answer to these questions so I can know if steel joiners can be used in a pinch in places.  I would imagine it is much easier to heat up a steel joiner than a steel rail.   Thank you.
Keep Calm and Carry On