News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sound for my 482 SP heavy

Started by traintb61, November 13, 2013, 01:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traintb61

Hello, I'm new to the forum and dcc. I'm building a layout with my grandson. I have a new HO usra heavy mountain 4-8-2 SP  with oil tender, item 82502 Spectrum. Paperwork with loco says to replace dummy plug with decorder plug, can I plug a sound decorder in with a speaker so I don't have to rewire and solder? I've looked at soundtraxx decorders but don't see any I can just plug in and run.
Thanks,

jonathan

tb61,

Every sound system I can think of will require at least some soldering, usually attaching the right kind of plug.

This link shows how I installed a Tsunami in a 2-8-4 Berkshire.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,16616.0.html

This was my first install.  Went well, and the loco still runs and sounds great.

The two mountains I have did not have speaker holes predrilled.  Don't know if yours will be the same.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

You can buy a nine pin to eight pin adapter and all you have to solder are two wires to the speaker.

Look at the below site on how to do this. You cut back the shrink a little on the Tsunami, unplug the connector and plug in the adapter. Plug the eight pin part of the adapter into the socket on the decoder.
Cut the capacitors. The Capacitors are labeled with a C on the PC board. Many miss this also. The two inductors are not an issue with no capacitors. Many miss this little feature.
The site owner works very closely with SoundTraxx and for some time, SoundTraxx has says this is acceptable and does not affect the warranty on the Tsunami decoder.
Look in Curriculum, SoundTraxx Tsunami.

http://www.mrdccu.com/

Store the link in Favorites and show this to others if you ever see the same issue in a forum. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I strongly suggest you look through all his site as he has loads of good DCC info and is a regular contributor to different DCC sites.

The speaker will be a 28mm.

Rich

traintb61

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll give it a try, I think I can do this.