News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Out of production Spectrum

Started by Irbricksceo, November 15, 2013, 09:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

Hello, Does anyone know of a place that may have older Bachmann Spectrum Locomotives? I am trying to find one of the NYSW SY 2-8-2 Locomotives but as they are out of production, I have had no luck. Of  course I monitor the Ebay (Passed on the last one I saw Due to it being unlettered, Regretting it now) So I figured, might as well ask.
Modeling NYC in N

Doneldon

Brick-

Keep watching on eBay. Those Suzie Q Mikes show up from time to time. They aren't as common as many other locos but there are some around. I suggest that you also check at various Inet hobby shops. It's even worth looking at what some of the shopping services have. I know that they all claim to have everything ever made, even when they don't, but you might hit it lucky. I'm sure one will show up sooner or later. Just keep looking.
                                                                                                                                                                                    -- D

adari

Hey,
I found one here if you really want one!
http://www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s8.cgi?cat_s=UBH&mfg_s=bac&tag2_i=606

If you buy it, I hope you like it!
Adam

Pacific Northern

Quote from: adari on November 16, 2013, 01:18:59 AM
Hey,
I found one here if you really want one!
http://www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s8.cgi?cat_s=UBH&mfg_s=bac&tag2_i=606

If you buy it, I hope you like it!
Adam

You obviously did not read the ad fully, the item is not in stock.

These SY are the best running locomotives that Bachmann has ever built. Their mechanisms are about the best I have ever run across.

I bought a few of these just for their mechanisms, for a while they were cheap but once they became scarce their prices rose significantly. The amount of detail on these engines makes the rest of the North American Spectrum line look like stripped down locomotives like the Roundhouse locomotive kits.

It is very interesting to Compare the North American versions against the Chinese versions, the Chinese items locomotives and coaches have a significant higher level of detail than the North American items.
Pacific Northern

Irbricksceo

Indeed they are, In reality, my search for one is to replace my old one that met with an unkind fate at the hands of a third party. The SY's Run really smoothly and pull a decent load. The most remarkable thing to me was the detail level. As Pacificnorthern said, These Locomotives are more detailed than the NA spectrum line. Having seen the real 142, It is among my favorite Locomotives. One unique part of the design was that The tender and Locomotive were not separable without disassembling (the drawbar and wires were completely encased) So no plugs to worry about.

Also, have seen a few modelers that Import SY and QJ Locomotives from china and rebuild them to look american here because of the Mechanism.
Modeling NYC in N

jbrock27

I don't know that it is so "obvious"  ::) that adari did not read the add fully or see that the item is not in stock.  Since it does say you can provide your email address so you can be emailed when available, how do you two know adari wasn't looking to be helpful in that regard?  If I was still in the postion of searching for this loco, that is what I would do, what would it hurt?  If I found it before then, great, if I get an email saying it's in before I found it elsewhere, then I have an option to buy it.

Doc, I am surprised you suggested EBay bc I thought you were anti EBay bc of the junk you said was found there?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Irbricksceo

No doubt he was being helpful and I certainly appreciate it.

Regarding ebay, personally, I have found good success on ebay, providing you take care to not what you buy (not that you don't get duds too) Unfortunately, Unless Bachmann does another run of these (hint hint) Previously owned is the most likely place to find one.
Modeling NYC in N

jbrock27

I as well IRB have good luck with EBay.  As you point out, not everytime is a winner.  But that said, I like that you have some consumer protections for disputes when you shop through them.  This is one of my concerns when shopping at a train show.  Unless you have a receipt for a vendor that also has a store (with a phone number) what happens when you get home on the last day of a show with an item and by that time the show is over and you find you have a problem with the item??   Also, all that I have ever read about paying for things at a train show, is that cash talks and vendors don't do credit, so you also have one less protection for disputes when you pay with cash.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ACY

I am pretty sure I bought an unlettered SY 2-8-2 in 2007, if I did then it has been sitting in the box for at least 5 years.

adari

Guys,
I am sorry I did not see that it was sold out. I had multiple tabs open when i did my search and I could have sworn that I saw one was in stock.
Maybe I sent the wrong link.
Sorry,
Adam

Pacific Northern

I just noticed the price for the SY, $255.00.

I would ask more for one of the ones I have.

You just can not find these engines anymore.

Does anyone remember how much the two truck Climax logging engines were going for?

Plus these were known as problematic, gears could be bought from NWSL, but you did not know if your

engine needed gear replacement or not. About 75% did.
Pacific Northern

Irbricksceo

I remember hearing about the climax issues! If I remember correctly, A local hobby shop sold em for around 150 near me WAY back when but I could be wrong. The climax is one of the neatest Locomotives I have ever seen.  I am fortunate enough to have seen a real life shay, climax, and Heisler.

I think I got the SY I used to own for around 120-150 and I remember them hitting as high as 350 as their number started to diminish. I just keep and eye out, One must show up eventually.
Modeling NYC in N