News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Another out of production engine sought.

Started by Pacific Northern, November 18, 2013, 04:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

I received an inquiry from another model railroad hobbyist who lives in the same area as I do if I could help him obtain some Bachmann HO 4-6-0 engines, preferably with sound and dcc, but without would also be fine.

He is in the process of building a HO home layout set in the 1930's and has bought two engines to date.

The engines are a Walthers Proto 0-8-0 for switching and a Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0. The layout will eventually fill the 16' x 26' basement room. Benchwork almost complete, track work 70% completed. He can run the perimeter of the layout.  More turnouts to come as well as a logging or mining railway.

Unfortunately he had to send both engines, when new in for repair.

The engines both were damaged in the mail during transit.

The Proto engine had a screw missing on its valve gear which is not attached to one of the main drivers, a number of detail parts had been knocked loose and the box was damaged.  He is in the process of filing a claim with the Post Office, that package had been opened by Customs for inspection. All he wants from Walthers is a replacement bolt. He did obtain a threaded bolt from the local hobby shop which fits the thread but it is too long, a factory replacement is needed. Walthers apparently does not have any replacements.

The Spectrum engine was damaged, the smoke box front was loose and some of the detail parts were also broken off, one of the wheels on the front truck had come off the axle, the bell was broken. Bachmann Service sent him replacement parts and a new pilot.

Based on the Service departments of the manufacturers he will no longer buy any more Walthers steam engine.

He has ordered another Bachmann 4-4-0 as well as a Bachmann 2-8-0, all with sound.

He has searched for but been unable to find any Bachmann 4-6-0 engines. He wants to buy 5 or 6 of these dual purpose engines.

Not only is Bachmann not making these, no one else is either (in plastic)

I am surprised that there are no HO steam engines of this wheel arrangement.

He is just about ready to give up and see what is available in brass.

If he goes the brass route then Bachmann will have lost a customer for sure. 
Pacific Northern

Bucksco

Unfortunately you can't please all of the people all of the time....

Geared Steam

Sounds to me that he will quickly be running out of manufacturers to buy from.  :D

Doneldon

Quote from: Pacific Northern on November 18, 2013, 04:46:36 PM
All he wants from Walthers is a replacement bolt. He did obtain a threaded bolt from the local hobby shop which fits the thread but it is too long, a factory replacement is needed.

PacNo-

He doesn't need a replacement. He can easily cut the bolt he has to the correct length. The easiest and quickest way requires an electrical wiring tool. Those have holes of various sizes and threads into which he can screw his bolt to the proper length and then cut off the excess by merely squeezing the handles together like a pliers. If he doesn't have such a tool (doubtful if he's building a layout the size described), he can cut the bolt to the right length with a Dremel tool or a fine blade hack saw. Cutting it with a wire cutter sort of tool isn't advised because it will mangle the threads on the end. However, if he insists on cutting the bolt that way he should screw on a couple of nuts before he makes the cut and then restore the threads by removing the nuts one at a time.

Or ... he can go to his LHS (in this case, local hardware store) and find what he needs. They don't have the tiniest connectors we use but they should have something the size he needs.
                                                                                                                                                                                          -- D

ACY

I have a Bachamnn Spectrum 4-6-0 lettered for MA & PA, that I bought brand new from the Favorite Spot around 7 years ago, it has never been run that I can recall. I would be willing to sell it since I no longer have a layout, but Bachmann may not like my post. Previous to a few days ago, I had not logged on here or checked in for maybe 3 years or so, but I will try to check back once just in case. Good luck with the search!

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Doneldon on November 19, 2013, 04:31:22 AM
Quote from: Pacific Northern on November 18, 2013, 04:46:36 PM
All he wants from Walthers is a replacement bolt. He did obtain a threaded bolt from the local hobby shop which fits the thread but it is too long, a factory replacement is needed.

PacNo-

He doesn't need a replacement. He can easily cut the bolt he has to the correct length. The easiest and quickest way requires an electrical wiring tool. Those have holes of various sizes and threads into which he can screw his bolt to the proper length and then cut off the excess by merely squeezing the handles together like a pliers. If he doesn't have such a tool (doubtful if he's building a layout the size described), he can cut the bolt to the right length with a Dremel tool or a fine blade hack saw. Cutting it with a wire cutter sort of tool isn't advised because it will mangle the threads on the end. However, if he insists on cutting the bolt that way he should screw on a couple of nuts before he makes the cut and then restore the threads by removing the nuts one at a time.

Or ... he can go to his LHS (in this case, local hardware store) and find what he needs. They don't have the tiniest connectors we use but they should have something the size he needs.
                                                                                                                                                                                          -- D

He found the screws at the local hobby shop. I have never seen a hardware store carry screws as small as you find in use in HO railroading.

He did try to cut one of the screws to reduce the length, he used his rail clipper, the threads are just too fine and become distorted at the cut line. He does not have a dremel (yet) so the rail cutter seemed to be a logical way to reduce the length, nope. I agree but he now has one screw left and the hobby shop only had the one package of screws/bolts.

The screw is hardly noticable, if ou look carefully and compare one side against the other the one with the proper length holds all of the rods neatly in place, the long  bolt allows slack, hardely noticeable until ou compare to the other side.
Pacific Northern

shel

There is an unlettered Bachmann Spectrum 4.6.0 with Tsunami sound (new) available at Whistle Stop Hobbies in Portland Oregon.  Their phone number is 503 761 1822, their web is wsor.com.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: shel on November 21, 2013, 05:33:57 PM
There is an unlettered Bachmann Spectrum 4.6.0 with Tsunami sound (new) available at Whistle Stop Hobbies in Portland Oregon.  Their phone number is 503 761 1822, their web is wsor.com.

How do you know. It looks like this site is inactive, last newsletter was 2009.

Other than brass, mainly on consignment there is no other stock showing. how did you ever find the 10 wheeler?

looks like a hand to mouth operation at best.

Pacific Northern

ALCO1000

Maybe tell your friend the character or the seller of the items he or she had purchased from them is really the lack of proper care and detail of packaging  ,I MYSELF HAVE DELT WITH NEW AND USED MODEL TRAINS AND ACCESSORIES ,VERY FRAGILE TIMBER BRIDGES BUILT UP AND SHIPPED WITH NO PROBLEMS DUE TO THE FACT I am a small outfit that cannot really afford comebacks and the reputation and trouble this brings upon the shipper AND MYSELF ,And ESPECIALLY the buyer of the items./A LITTLE TIP ,2 items damaged, bad packaging all the way!iF IT WAS ME AFTER THIS IS ALL SAID AND DONE , THE SELLER PACKS IT , DONE RIGHT SUCCESS, DONT CARE, WILL BREAK ALONG THE WAY , BEEN THERE!Good luck, By The way Brass may be getting Old SCHOOL, the new resin shell METAL FRAME TECHNOLOGY HAS CAUGHT UP IN THE DETAILING,Plus they actually run good!Not knocking brass ,but it is what it is Obsolete MAYBE maybe not Coming soon !
Good Luck!JS

rogertra

Quote from: Pacific Northern on November 21, 2013, 06:25:50 PM
Quote from: shel on November 21, 2013, 05:33:57 PM
There is an unlettered Bachmann Spectrum 4.6.0 with Tsunami sound (new) available at Whistle Stop Hobbies in Portland Oregon.  Their phone number is 503 761 1822, their web is wsor.com.

How do you know. It looks like this site is inactive, last newsletter was 2009.

Other than brass, mainly on consignment there is no other stock showing. how did you ever find the 10 wheeler?

looks like a hand to mouth operation at best.

Yes, I agree.  I also checked out their website and was NOT impressed.  Also could not find any product listed other than what you've already pointed out.  Even their E-Bay 'site' has no product listings.

shel

RE: Whistle Stop and the 4.6.0

I was shopping there late last week and looked it over.

Shel

JNXT 7707

The phone number of Whistle Stop hobbies was supplied - here's an idea: Give them a call! Yeah it's old school but you might find what you are looking for.

Right?  ::)
Jerry

Modeling the JNXT RR from its headquarters in Buzzardly, Texas.
Future home of the National C-Liner Museum.