News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Tracks

Started by rbryce1, November 19, 2013, 09:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbryce1

Is there any possibility of Bachmann developing a 24" radius track section?

Also, what about a 22" radius turnout similar to the 18" radius turnout.  I do not like to use 18" radius curves if possible and it is very difficult to make all of my turnouts on straight sections of rail.

Currently, I need to use another brand of track for these functions and it would be less difficult if Bachmann had these rails to select from.

jward

other  items to consider:

how about a 18r-22r curved switch? those were common in the 1970s, yet I don't believe anybody makes them now.

how about a redesign of the 18r switch, so that the arc of the curve is 20 degrees rather than 30? most publiched track plans which call for 18r switches are designed for the ones with a 20 degree arc, in many cases having to use 30 makes the plan unworkable.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rbryce1

Quote from: jward on November 19, 2013, 10:19:02 AM
other  items to consider:

how about a redesign of the 18r switch, so that the arc of the curve is 20 degrees rather than 30? most publiched track plans which call for 18r switches are designed for the ones with a 20 degree arc, in many cases having to use 40 makes the plan unworkable.

What ever they do, it is very important to make the curved section of rail the exact same length as the curved sectional track they will replace or, if it is smaller, have a small piece of sectional track to suppliment it, or you still will have difficulty inserting the turn out into an arc or circle.

jward

the 18r 20 degree switch has long been a standard item in the hobby. it is still made by atlas, was made in the past by ahm, tyco, Bachmann, lifelike and others. an ez track version shouldn't be hard to make. and those switches always came with a standard 1/3 section of 18r to extend them out to a full 18r curve if desired.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rbryce1

Sounds like the best of both needs. 

Joe Satnik

Guys, 

The Atlas 18"R-20 Degree Snap-Switch (turnout) is possible only because

there is no attached roadbed. 

Take 2 photo copies of a Bachmann Remote Switch with roadbed. 

Draw the lines you would need to cut so as to reduce them from 30 degrees down to 20 degrees. 

(Lay an 18"R-10 degree fitter on the divergent end of the photocopy to mark that line.)     

Cut those lines so it is possible to fit 2 cut turnouts divergent route to divergent route. 

Observe the shape of the side pieces you would need to manufacture.

Now, you will also need to offer normal and fitter sized straights and curves (in both left and right directions)

with one end in the shape of your cut side piece.

Who is going to fund the start up of this huge expansion of the E-Z Track line?

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Irbricksceo

This is correct, the Roadbed renders the parts unable to fit. If you want the shorter switch, it is possible to make one yourself, either through non-ez track or by cutting down the track you have. When I was making a layout a while ago (before I had to sell off most of my trains) I cut the Switch to 20 degrees and cut the roadbed of the connecting track and turnout to fit. It can be done with basic machining skills. I found it important because the wide switches make parallel tracks really far apart. All that said, There are a lot of plans that do not require the 20 degrees or can be modified.
Modeling NYC in N

rbryce1

Joe,

I don't follow much of what you just described, but, they already make a 18" R - 30 Deg turnout with roadbed, and I'm sure they can do the same with a 22" R - 22.5 Deg section as well.  It would be an exact track section replacement for a 22" R section of track and it will fit very well into a standard Bachmann 22" R curve instead of trying to insert any other turn out they have into a 22" R curve.

If others can make the turn out, then Bachmann can as well, then all they need to do is put a chunk of plastic that looks like roadbed under it!

I'm sure it can be done, and they would definitely sell enough of them to justify the cost of production, unless you are saying no one buys Bachmann turn outs.

jbrock27

...I did read once or twice, how they do sometimes have some problems ;)

Quote from: rbryce1 on November 20, 2013, 12:57:37 PM
Joe,

...unless you are saying no one buys Bachmann turn outs.
Keep Calm and Carry On

rbryce1

Quote from: jbrock27 on November 20, 2013, 01:03:23 PM
...I did read once or twice, how they do sometimes have some problems ;)

Well ...... you do have a point there. :D

jbrock27

Quote from: rbryce1 on November 20, 2013, 12:57:37 PM
Joe,

I don't follow much of what you just described...

Don't feel bad Bob.  Oftentimes, Joe speaks in his own language.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

QuoteDon't feel bad Bob.  Oftentimes, Joe speaks in his own language.

Actually Mr. Brock what Joe describes is published in a book I recently purchased and gives great detail in modifying the EZ track turnout.
Here's a link to that copy and enjoy reading it if you don't have it already.

http://www.amazon.com/The-HO-Model-Railroading-Handbook/dp/0873416082/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_5

Jerry

jbrock27

Thank you J.B!
I hope it is easier to understand.
But I won't be buying it, not having a need to modify EZ track, since as you know, I don't like or use it.  Don't like the look.  But thank you again, very much for the information. When the day comes, I will ask you for your recommendation on a beginner DCC book. You can bet on that!

And please, don't be so formal.  We're all friends here!
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

The book is a lot easier to understand Joe's philosophy if anyone else needs it.

jbrock27

Is it Joe's philosophy or did he get it from the book??
Keep Calm and Carry On