News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Opening up a Berkshire

Started by vanderduim, December 10, 2013, 04:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanderduim

Now that I've got my Berkshire responding better, I'm wondering how complicated it will be to get the boiler off the frame. My headlight, while it does work , is doing a great job of lighting the interior of the shell. I suspect the bulb has slipped out of position ( do ya think?) I've consulted the schematic and it doesn't look too difficult. Any suggestions or shortcuts.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

There should be two screws under the firebox at the rear and one under the smokebox at the front. just remove those (putting them off to the side in a place where you won't lose them) and lift the shell of of the frame. and reverse the process to put the shell back on the frame.

richg

Quote from: MilwaukeeRoadfan261 on December 11, 2013, 11:28:46 AM
There should be two screws under the firebox at the rear and one under the smokebox at the front. just remove those (putting them off to the side in a place where you won't lose them) and lift the shell of of the frame. and reverse the process to put the shell back on the frame.

That is good to know. I checked the loco diagram and did not look to be very descriptive.

Rich

vanderduim

Hi all.

Thanks for the help. Having been out of the hoppy for a number of years, It amazes me how much things have improved and become more complex. It's good to know that model railroaders are still the same great bunch.

Hessel

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

It helps that I have a 2-8-4 Berk from Bachmann as well. The one I have is the C&O version in the painted/unlettered version currently lettered for Great Northern service as a "What If?" kind of situation of if the Great Northern had a 2-8-4 on their roster.