Returning older,custom painted locomotives for service.

Started by LV LOU, December 13, 2013, 06:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LV LOU

I have a few older Bachmann Steam locomotives that have just become too much to keep running.Most have bad gears.Some have no longer produced shells,or shells I built/painted,some were gifts..I'd rather not return them,I'd just as soon fix them myself,but the gears aren't available from your normal parts store..Is it possible to get them from you anyway? They're all older white gear Northerns,2-8-0's,and 0-6-0's..THANKS!!!!..LOU

the Bach-man

Dear Lou,
There are a few older parts available; the service department can give you specifics.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Brewman

Lou,
If Bachmann no longer has the gears you need, check the following link. I hear they are not cheap but they may haves the gears you need if you can't get them anywhere else.

http://www.nwsl.com/

LV LOU

Quote from: Brewman on December 15, 2013, 10:20:15 AM
Lou,
If Bachmann no longer has the gears you need, check the following link. I hear they are not cheap but they may haves the gears you need if you can't get them anywhere else.

http://www.nwsl.com/
Brewman,I've already looked at NWSL for gears for these locomotives,they don't seem to have them..I've got NWSL wheelsets on quit a few of my older locomotives,mostof my TRIX locomotives, & Arnold switchers..

Mike C

They still make the Northerns and 0-6-0. I think if you talk to Laura ? in service you can make some kind of arrangment to be able to keep your custom shells. The new mechs are much better and have better gears.....Mike

LV LOU

Mike,I really kinda want to keep at least three of them intact.My brother in law and sister in law used to live near a hobby shop that sold used stuff in Maryland.Every Christmas,we all exchanged gifts,when they got my name,they always bought a used locomotive for me.Both passed away over the last three years,so,there's a lot of sentimental value attached..Any kind of sending back is kinda out of the question..

GG1onFordsDTandI

I bet those two would rather the trains ran for you than collect dust. Its why they got them for you right ;) Keeping all the old shells might not even be an issue from the sounds of it.

brokemoto

I have various Bachmann USRA 0-6-0s from over the years.  The shells will fit on any of the mechanisms.  All that you need do is purchase the latest USRA 0-6-0 (or 2-6-2-the B-mann 'prairie' is really a USRA 0-6-0 with idler trucks added), and swap the shells.  If you want to do some more work, you can buy a SPECTRUM USRA switcher tender or slope back.  The old shell will go on, but it does require some work.  Putting an all wheels live tender on these markedly improves performance.  It also eliminates the drag that the front, live tender truck creates on the locomotive.

I have done a test fit of the Reading Company 2-8-0 shell on the SPECTRUM chassis.  It looks allright, but it will require more than a little bit of work to get the shell to stay.

I do not have the new 4-8-4.  I do not know if the old 4-8-4 shells will fit the new one.  People say that the new 4-8-4 ain't bad.