News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

tender weight

Started by nash man, December 16, 2013, 10:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nash man

the tender behind my locomotive has a heavy weight that is removable. if i where to take it out and operate the train would it help my loco pull inclines better?? what is the purpose of this such heavy weight??

richg

Quote from: nash man on December 16, 2013, 10:12:44 PM
the tender behind my locomotive has a heavy weight that is removable. if i where to take it out and operate the train would it help my loco pull inclines better?? what is the purpose of this such heavy weight??

Some tenders are light on the front trucks because of the two wire harnesses that connect to the loco. You might experiment with the amount of weight you need.

Rich

Irbricksceo

The weight in the tender has two purposes, as rich mentioned, one is to stop the wire harness from lifting the tender (my 2-8-0 has that issue and I need to add weight one day) and the other is the same reason all cars should have some weight, to help them track better. that said, I don't know how heavy the weight you have is, and too much weight  will obviously subtract from pulling power.
Modeling NYC in N

Doneldon

nash-

Do not even think of removing weight from your loco's tender unless you know for certain that it is not original and
was not installed to improve the tender's tracking. That is, leave it alone. The extra pulling power for your loco is not
worth the trade off of a tender which can't be relied on to stay on the rails.
                                                                                                                  -- D

bobwrgt

It all depends on your track work and the engine you are doing it to.
I have several engines that i have removed the weight in the tender or at least cut it in half. They work fine on good track work that is smooth. Most do not have wire betwean  engine and tender or it is very flexible.Try it and if you are not happy put it back in. While you are at it check the wheels on the tender to make sure the roll free
with little resistance.

ALCO1000

Quote from: Irbricksceo on December 16, 2013, 10:29:31 PM
The weight in the tender has two purposes, as rich mentioned, one is to stop the wire harness from lifting the tender (my 2-8-0 has that issue and I need to add weight one day) and the other is the same reason all cars should have some weight, to help them track better. that said, I don't know how heavy the weight you have is, and too much weight  will obviously subtract from pulling power.
[/quote
weight is necessary , the object is to get the weight moving with the least amount power to overcome  friction,make sure all the wheels are in the correct gauge and free rolling , if not work that out with maybe the proper lube on the bearings , and do a little research on this with your cars also ,THERE IS A FORMULA ON THE NMRA SITE FOR CARS AND WEIGHT hope this helps!
Jack