News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train derails with E-Z Track turnouts.

Started by Vermontergeorge, December 20, 2013, 07:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vermontergeorge

Hi   I installed two E-Z Track turnouts and now my train derails.   No issues when the track was a simple oval shape but adding turnouts causes the train to derail.  Any suggestions?  

James in FL

Hi Vermontergeorge,

Do you have access to an NMRA N Standards Gage?

Like this:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Standards-Gauges-s/1065.htm

No affiliation with afore mentioned other than I am a satisfied customer.

Check sources, you may find a better price.

If you have a gage or other means to measure, what are your findings?

brokemoto

What is derailing?  The locomotive?  The rolling stock?  In what direction and on what part of the turnout is it derailing?   Main?  Diverging?  What kind of motive power and rolling stock are you running?  On what kind of wheelsets does your rolling stock run?  What E-Z TRAK turnouts are you using?  #4?  #6?  crossover?  What color is the card on the packaging?  Blue?  Yellow?

I understand,  many questions.  If, however, you answer them, I can help you better.  I have experience with the E-Z TRAK turnouts and various motive power and rolling stock.

Vermontergeorge

Wow, thanks for the fast supply.   The turnouts are from a yellow package.   The train sets are the Bachman Southern Belle and Yard Boss, both locomotives and cars derail.   I had no derailing issues with the oval set up.   Any help would be appreciated.   

Albert in N

The problem might relate to the turnouts being too sharply curved, plus uneven turnout track.  Back in 2007 and for a few years thereafter, I used EZ track and found that the turnouts available at that time would derail cars coupled to a body mount coupler diesel (GE B30-7) and stall or derail my 4-4-0 steamer from the Prairie Flyer set.  Bachmann GP40s with Bachmann freight cars using the dummy (non-operating) couplers usually had no problem with the sharp EZ track turnouts.  The EZ turnouts appeared sharper curved than Kato or Atlas number 4 short turnouts.  I even replaced one defective turnout three times without resolution of derailment.  Yes, I did have straight track sections going into and from the turnout, plus even tried curved track to turnout.  Since Bachmann had not yet expanded the EZ track line to include number 6 (long) turnouts, I went to Kato Unitrack for my layout and have had no problems at all with derailments.  Bachmann has since expanded the EZ track line and may have improved their short (number 4) turnouts.  Perhaps the dealer where you purchased your EZ track might be able to help you resolve the problem.  My advice would be to use only one uniform brand and type of track on your layout.  Mixing brands and types requires modification and often looks terrible and causes derailments. 

brokemoto

Yellow package, CHECK; good, those are the most recent issue.

Funny, I ran Bachmann 0-6-0s through those turnouts and did not have a problem.  To be sure, my 0-6-0s are modified.  I replaced the stock tenders with SPECTRUM tenders.  The construction on the front, live truck of the stock tender is such that it creates a tremendous amount of drag on the locomotive.  I suspect that it might also be the cause of the derailments.

My rolling stock has mostly MicroTrains trucks.  I had few derailments.  I had a few derailment problems, but there was no consistency to them, EXCEPT, that B-mann doodlebugs derailed in reverse.

jdnewemail

I also had trouble with derailments using e-z turnouts. Then i grinded off the inner upper flange of the rail where the point touches. That fixed my problem. Did it on all of my turnouts all work great now.

Desertdweller

I fixed an EZ-Trak turnout that was on a roundhouse lead.  Four-axle Diesels had no problem, but six-axle units would climb the rail.  I tried jwnewemail's solution, but that wasn't enough.  Then I checked gauge (at the frog) and found the gauge too narrow.  I spread the stock rail slightly with a long-nosed pliers and that solved the problem.  I use E-unit locomotives mostly on my CB&Q/C&S passenger trains and need a smooth approach to my turntable.

Les