engines jumps rails of E-Z track remote turnout

Started by RMT, September 21, 2007, 12:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMT

I have some problem with the Bachmann n scale remote turnouts.  When I run my engines towards the switch, (single rail to the forked rails) the wheels of my engine will jump the movable switch part and try to go in the opposite direction from which the switch is set.  I can see that the switch has been slightly moved by the wheels of the engine. Don’t know if anyone has a similar problem or knows how to fix this.  All engines run fine traveling from the forked part (two rails) of the switch to the single rail.   Hope this explanation makes sense.   .   

taz-of-boyds

Sounds like picking the points (points = moving part).  There can be a couple things causing picking the points, maybe in this case, the point rail is not fitting smoothly against the fixed rail.  If this is the case the flange on the wheel can catch and squeeze between the point and fixed rail, and the resulting boo-boo.

As you may find in related posts, you may need to file or grind the point tip to make a smooth transition from the fixed rail to the point.

Have fun,
Charles

GlennW

I'd like to see Bachmann set up a FAQ section for questions like this. The topic of the EZtrak turnouts come up a lot.

The turnouts need a lot of tuning & filing to get them to operate properly. Take your time to be sure everything fits.

Your only alternative in plastic roadbed track is to use Kato Unitrak. Atlas may come out with a new line of TrueTrack. Another choice would be to use regular Atlas or Peco snaptrack turnouts, but those need to be shimmed to get them to mate with EZtrak.

RMT

Thanks for all the advice.  I’ve filed the points and checked for smooth contact with the fixed rails. I’ve tried tightening and loosing the screw that hold the moveable switch part to the turnout.   Unfortunately the problem is intermittent.  The engine might make three passes over the turnout and on the fourth it will derail. This happens with all four engines so I don’t think it’s an engine problem.   If there were a consistent pattern to the problem it would be easer to determine the fix.  I’ve read in other posting that many people felt the solution to EZ-Trac problems was to go to Keto products.  Is going to Kato track the best cure as suggested?  Maybe I should have started with Kato in the first place.  I'm  new to this hobby and started with a Bachmann train set that was given to me.

taz-of-boyds

Thanks for reporting your progress.  It would be nice to find out what happens to some of these problems.

I don't use E-Z track, but Atlas code 55.  I have point picking problems of a different sort.  It took me a while to figure out what was happening.  The c-55 turnouts I have are right on the NMRA standards for clearances.  This means things are pretty close.  If the wheel gauge (distance between the two wheels on an axle) is just a little narrow it can pick the points.  But what happens is the wheels catch the open point, not the closed point, and then the resulting boo-boo...

If I had time on my hands, and someone was tossing one of the E-Z track turnouts giving them fits, it might be fun to get one to see what I could figure out...   :o

Have fun,
Charles