News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Couplers

Started by June, September 23, 2007, 12:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

June

I would like to convert the rapidos on my Spectrum 2-8-0 starter set with knuckel couplers.  From what I've read in this forum I understand that Bachmann has converted their new sets with new couplers.  My question is this:  What coupler can I purchase that is easy to install without making any modifications on the Bachmann tender and rolling stock?
Thanks, Bob 

Franz T

The Spectrum 2-8-0 takes a Micro-Trains #2004, you will have to snap off the old coupler box and drill/tap a hole to mount the new coupler. The whole thing takes less than 10 minutes. Easiest way to convert cars is to purchase MT trucks with couplers attached and simply replace the existing trucks. With Bachmann you will need to ream out the hole in the truck so it fits eaily over the mounting post on the car and then simply replace the screws holding the trucks in place. Bachmann knuckle couplers-also called dummy couplers- will work (after a fashion) with MT couplers but will not allow magnetic uncoupling. I make it a rule to install Micro-Trains on all my rolling stock..

fieromike

Quote from: Franz T on September 23, 2007, 01:42:50 PM
The Spectrum 2-8-0 takes a Micro-Trains #2004, you will have to snap off the old coupler box and drill/tap a hole to mount the new coupler. The whole thing takes less than 10 minutes. Easiest way to convert cars is to purchase MT trucks with couplers attached and simply replace the existing trucks. With Bachmann you will need to ream out the hole in the truck so it fits eaily over the mounting post on the car and then simply replace the screws holding the trucks in place. Bachmann knuckle couplers-also called dummy couplers- will work (after a fashion) with MT couplers but will not allow magnetic uncoupling. I make it a rule to install Micro-Trains on all my rolling stock..

Replacing the 2-8-0's tender trucks with M-Ts isn't a good idea.  The M-T trucks have no provision for electrical pickup.

Mike

Franz T

Replacing the 2-8-0's tender trucks with M-Ts isn't a good idea.  The M-T trucks have no provision for electrical pickup.

Mike
[/quote]

Nobody advocated replacing the 2-8-0's tender trucks. The #2004 is a coupler, not a truck. (The Spectrum 2-8-0 uses a body mount coupler on the tender). Trucks on cars don't need any pickup unless they are on lighted passenger cars...

taz-of-boyds

This is the trickier part of the question.  What has been the best conversion of the front couplers on the 2-8-0 to MT or compatible?

Thanks,
Charles

PS, I will be likely be using MT Z scale couplers since they look nicer and will operate with the N scale ones too as I am told.

fieromike

Quote from: Franz T on September 23, 2007, 08:37:11 PM

Mike

Nobody advocated replacing the 2-8-0's tender trucks. The #2004 is a coupler, not a truck. (The Spectrum 2-8-0 uses a body mount coupler on the tender). Trucks on cars don't need any pickup unless they are on lighted passenger cars...
[/quote]

Mea culpa.  I missed the "cars" part of your post.  I guess its time for my meds...

Mike