Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-Truck Climax

Started by Ken Huck, January 05, 2014, 05:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Huck

Beer #1

Disassembly:  
The first photo shows the difference between the front truck of the 3-truck Climax (left)
and the 2-truck Climax (right).  Notice on the 3-truck Climax the front truck is a little more
forward than on the 2-truck.  This is where the fiddly bits I mentioned on my earlier post
concerning the drive-shafts, you have to sort of mix and match to get the right lengths.

The second photo shows the entire drive-train from truck to truck.

Here's a close-up of the drive-train.  Note the 3-truck replacement have the newer vinyl (white)
gears as opposed to the black plastic ones that were used in the 2-truck.

At this point, the three screws holding the old transmission to the frame have been removed and
also the three screws holding the boiler and cab assembly.  Only one empty hole for the rear screw
of the transmission is visible.  The forward hole (behind the pivot for the front truck) and left-side
(just below the cab and beneath the frame) and another on the right below the cab is what holds
the boiler on.  

At this point everything is still pretty tight.  I started to wiggle things to get them separated and slowly
but surely got as far as the next picture.

I forgot to mention that the drive-rods can pried off their axle and slid out of their respective cylinder.

That's as far as I got today.  If anybody knows what the next step I should take short of cutting any wires
that might be holding things together, let me know.

Beer #2
Disassembly (cont.):

I decided to cut the wires and it turns out that they go to the headlight and taillight. 

In the above photo, the headlight wires have yet to be cut.  I won't have any problem reattaching them.

The only thing(s) holding this all together is the two screws holding the motor to the mount.  They are
located on either side of the worm gear.

That was quick !  The old transmission, motor and bottom of the boiler were all held together by the two
screws that held to motor to the mount.  The lower portion of the boiler is trapped between the motor
and the transmission.  The plastic part in the lower right of the picture is the cover for the worm gear.  It
just snaps into place.

Here's a close-up of the new transmission installed.

All that's left to now is reinstall the running gear and see if it works.

You can see a few more of my future projects.  Both are RoundHouse kits.

Ken Huck

Forgot to bump this back up after modifying it.

richg

Very nice tutorial.
Everyone, store the link to give to others.

In case Bachmann ever changes the forums or his photo go away, it can happen, store the page as an HTML document in your PC. That way you keep all the info. Check for updates. I have done that here for other projects some have posted.

Rich

Ken Huck

Beer #3, #4, and #5 !

EUREKA !  It's alive !  I reassembled the drive shafts and attached the trucks to the main frame for a test drive.
I runs just as steady, smooth, and quiet as the original.  Now all I have to do is disassemble it again and try to cram all that hidden detail back in that you can't see when this thing is running.  While disassembling earlier, it wouldn't have surprised me if I found heating coils inside the boiler.
Here's a few shots:

I'm sure glad that's over.  So, for those of you who want to get your old 2-truck Class B Climax running again,
all the parts are available in the 70-ton 3-truck Climax.  It also wouldn't surprise me if Backmann were already
swapping out parts to reintroduce the 2-truck Climax (with sound) in the near future.  I hope so, I want another one.

Good Luck !

Ken Huck

Back on the job.  Draggin' a line of Tichy Train Group's old time wood ore hoppers up a 4% grade back
to the mine.

I may have to remove the boiler again and tweak a few things underneath because it sounds as if
something may be rubbing.

VTBob

Excellent! Is there any way to request larger images so those of us with wonky vision can see the tiny parts a little more clearer? I have a 2 trk climax that I'd love to fix & get running again. My universals were ok, it was something in the gearbox that went on me. :P

Thank you,
Vermont Bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

Ken Huck

I wish I could figure out how to do that Bob, I wear 2.75X reading glasses and have one of those big
magnifying glasses that I use.  I use Image Shack for my 'host provider' and I believe the size is governed
by them.  I'm pretty much computer illiterate when it comes to resizing stuff.  Maybe you could save it to your
hard drive, then somehow enlarge it from there.

HTH
Ken

richg

Quote from: Zytx on January 09, 2014, 02:19:40 PM
Excellent! Is there any way to request larger images so those of us with wonky vision can see the tiny parts a little more clearer? I have a 2 trk climax that I'd love to fix & get running again. My universals were ok, it was something in the gearbox that went on me. :P

Thank you,
Vermont Bob

I think Bachmann site limits the size. Just a guess.
You could buy and install Paint Shop Pro or similar.
I use a free program called Gimp. Download it right off the "Net.

Since you know how to use a PC, this is something you can do.
Download the photo to your PC and enlarge it.

http://www.gimpshop.com/gimp/?gclid=CNSX9PeS8rsCFXPNOgodux8Ahw

They never bug me about any money. Completely free. No need to register.

I use a Linux Operating System so I use the Linux version. Eyes are not the best either.

I use a 19 inch LCD display.

Rich

Doneldon

Is there any way to request larger images so those of us with wonky vision can see the tiny parts a little more clearer?

Bob and Ken-

You can change the image size yourself. Just hold your [control] key down while you scroll with the wheel on
your mouse. Depending on how your mouse is configured the image size (or anything on your screen for that
matter) will get larger or smaller with one to three clicks on the wheel.
                                                                                                             -- D

richg

Quote from: Doneldon on January 09, 2014, 09:24:41 PM
Is there any way to request larger images so those of us with wonky vision can see the tiny parts a little more clearer?

Bob and Ken-

You can change the image size yourself. Just hold your [control] key down while you scroll with the wheel on
your mouse. Depending on how your mouse is configured the image size (or anything on your screen for that
matter) will get larger or smaller with one to three clicks on the wheel.
                                                                                                             -- D

I do that a lot.

My suggestion was for downloading and sometimes making a larger photo. I download quite a few photos from these forums and others. Sometimes allows a more thorough investigation.

Rich