News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Smooth-It Crossings

Started by PRRThomas11, September 24, 2007, 07:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRRThomas11

This has been driving me CRAZY!!!

I am building a layout with Woodland Scenics Smooth-It roads. Im having trouble with crossings. I push the smooth-it all the way up to the rail and clean the tops of the rail. Thats as far as I got. How do I have the pavement go inbetween the rails. On straight track I found some wood strips that fit perfectly between the rails with a gap for the wheels and are at the same hight as the rail. I cant think of ANYTHING to do for the curves. The last thing I want is to put smooth-it inbetween the rails.(Ive tried :-\)
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

Guilford Guy

Take bits of strip wood and bend them in the curve and use track nails or some CA to to hold them in.
Alex

Franz T

This might work: Find an OLD car from the early 70's (you know, one of those with the pizza cutter flanges.. ;D)- or maybe a truck from a Mehano Diesel....
Spread the Smooth -It between the rails and when it starts to set, run the truck along the section of track to cut nice, deep flangeways. Wait until the Smooth-it has dried, then take 150 grit sandpaper and sand the top smooth and then take a fresh sheet of sandpaper and run the edge in the flangeway with the grit toward the rail ...

jprince46

I used .020 styrene for mine.

What I did was get my wifes lipstick and apply it to the top of the rails where the crossing was. 

I then placed the sheet on the rails and pressed.  This left two lines to cut.

I cut to the inside of the lines, and with a little trimming dropped it in.

I made sure there was plenty of clearance, then painted the styrene cement color and attached with glue.

I had to do this on the layout because I used flex track and it was an odd curve.  If you were doing this on sectional track, use a spare piece of track.

Hope this helps.

Jim

PRRThomas11

Thanks guys! Jprince46, I am using flex track so that will help. :)
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World"