News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

product improvement

Started by ta152h0, September 24, 2007, 10:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ta152h0

Perhaps the pin used on tenders for the drawbar should be made of metal ? I have had two break already ( 4-8-2, 2-10-0 russian Decapod) from handling.

rogertra

Though I've never had one break and I have over 18 Spectrums steamers, you need to handle all locos really carefully, I think this is a good idea.

ta152h0

I am thinking more of protecting the connector  and wiring between tenders and locomotives. there should be a more permanent connection to prevent these miniature wires to be pulled apart, since these wires are not color coded. There is nothing preventing the drawbar from diconnecting while running the train, surely resulting in the wires being pulled from the connectors.

djp

ta152ho, that is a very valid point you have made. I do hope Bachmann and all other manufacturers take note of what you have said. If a vote is required, you sure have mine.
Get Off My Train !!!

SteamGene

I've mentined this before, but I sent two Power House Mikes to Tony's for DCC conversion.  They came back with a four wire connection in two sets of two color coded wires each.  One set had the female plug on the loco and the other had it on the tender.  The plugs had a dot of paint on each set so that matched up they went in the correct way.  Easy to connect, great connection, wonderful idea.  It's too bad Proto, Bachmann, BLI, Athearn, etc couldn't come up with something as easy and foolproof.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

The best by far electrical connection between a loco and a tender was (is) the connection used by LifeLike on their 0-8-0 and 0-6-0  Proto 2000 switchers .

The drawbar and plug are one and the same and you get close (Scale?) coupling distance between loco and tender that will still handle 18" toy train curves.

That's the electrical/drawbar connection that should be used by ALL steam loco manufacturers.

Jim2903

Roger is absolutely right -- P2K drawbars are the standard by which others should be measured ... and Spectrum's wire connections are a royal pain.

Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.