News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachman DCC GP's

Started by glsummers, September 24, 2007, 10:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glsummers

Mr Bachman
I have about eight Bachman diesel's but the lights are not very bright on any of them compared to the Proto 2000 Diesel and other diesels that I have. What is the problem and how do I solve it. I checked them by pushing the number 1 on the MRC Prodigy Advance Squired controller but it just dims the lights even more. As always you all are a great help.

Scott S

I expect the Bachmann's response must be that the headlights function as intended. All the Bachmann headlights I have seen on recent production locos are LEDs and seem less bright than the incandescent bulb headlights on others I have seen - such as the proto2000 diesels and some older ones I have seen.

For this application, LEDs have two advantages over incandescents - very long life, and much lower heat. But the standard LEDs are not as bright nor quite the right color: white is too blue and yellow too yellow. Fortunately, there now both ultra bright standard (still bluish, supposed to be good for modern diesels) and warm white LEDs available - if either you are willing to replace you lights or can get/pay someone to do it for you. 

One source is the ebay store "Hi Output": http://stores.ebay.com/Hi-Output, the sellerid that shows up in aution listings is speedypete99. I don't have any experience with this seller.

glsummers

Exactly what do you recommend to replace the Bachman lights? What are they called and can you get them at Radio Shack? How hard are they to replace? Just some more input would be very helpful. Thanks. Larry

the Bach-man

Dear Larry,
There are pluses and minuses to any solution. As Scott says, the LEDs installed should last much longer than bulbs.
Have fun!
the Bach-man