In the process of converting a Bachmann 2-6-2 Prairie to DCC.

Started by gatrhumpy, January 22, 2014, 07:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrhumpy

First thing I did was to get a Bachmann Spectrum short tender with all wheel pickup. You can pick one up from Modeltrainstuff.com for $15. This is essential for DCC.

Next thing I did was to flip over the drawbar. Normally, the drawbar looks like a 'z' that flips down. Well, in order to adapt it to the 2-6-2 Prairie, you have to flip it up. However, once you do this, you will run into two problems. 1. The end of the tender will interfere with drawbar performance and it being able to go around curves, and 2. There are two knobs on either side of the bolster pin on the bottom of the front tender that need to be grinded off. This is so that the two stiff metal electrical contact pieces don't interfere with the drawbar turning around curves.

Now I'm in the process of isolating the motor and running wires to the tender. I will post pictures later today and tomorrow or the process.

brokemoto

If you go to Spookshow's website, he has a tutorial on this.  It is quite informative and may help ease the process.  If you are not familiar with it, it is THE source for information on N scale locomotives and rolling stock.  If you want to k now if what you intend to acquire is any good, it is the place to look.

gatrhumpy

I've been there, but his is straight DC. No one to my knowledge has converted this engine to DCC, or at least posted pictures of it.

gatrhumpy

Sonofa....

Lost the front motor plastic bearing block in front of the worm gear. Now it won't go back together quite like it did before I took it apart. Have to order another one.

Mike C

There is a tutorial out there somewhere. I found it last summer. Somewhere. You will have to totally dissassemble the loco , take out the motor, cut the contacts on the motor so they don't contact the frame , wire it back up and re assemble. Its really not too hard, sounds worse than it is. Found it http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?20301-Bachmann-0-6-0-Switcher-DCC-conversion-A-complete-how-too-(pic-heavy)  I didn't exactly foll all of this the way he did it, I took a few shortcuts with the way the wires run. His method is over complicated I think.....Mike

gatrhumpy

Yeah, when I get another 0-6-0 or a cheap Prairie, I will try again.

gatrhumpy

Wait a minute. I'm looking at those pictures and there is no front black plastic bearing block holding the part of the motor shaft in front the worm gear.

gatrhumpy

Had to order another 0-6-0 valve gear because the one I had got messed up. Hopefully this fixes the problem.