News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Scale 6 wheel truck Long Haul Tender

Started by southernsteam64, January 26, 2014, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernsteam64

Have you ever considered making a N scale 6 wheel truck Long Haul Tender like the one used behind the Bachmann HO 2-8-4 Berkshire? Most of the east coast 4-8-4's also used them. If you did you would have a close facsimile to what was used on the RF&P, Western Maryland, C&O Greenbrier, etc. I know the L&N 2-8-4's also had a similar tender as did the Southern PS-4 and various C&O 2-8-2's and 4-6-2's. Your off the shelf 4-8-4 would be a nice start linked to one of these. The N&W J-Class Tender is unique to that locomotive but similar in size.

brokemoto

The Life-Like/Walthers Van Swearingen Berkshire has an all wheels live tender as does the LL USRA 2-8-8-2.  If you look at shows, you can usually find the older versions, without the DCC ready gear or traction tyres, for a pretty good price, relatively speaking.  The good prices usually come from the smarter vendors that understand that these older issues were anemic pullers that have since been superceded by upgraded issues from WKW.  There are, of course, those train show vendors who have a rather high opinion of the value of some of their JUNQUE, so it might require a bit of looking to find one for a good price.  But then, is that not one of the reasons that one goes to a train show?

Even though the price for some of these older issues may be good, relatively speaking and from the right vendor, it still ends up that you are paying a hefty price to get just a tender.  Perhaps you can find someone who is interested in just the locomotive.  I had the good fortune to find someone who was interested in just the locomotive, while I wanted the tender, for an MDC 1880s 2-8-0.  If you post what you want on the various forums, someone will speak up.  I found the guy who wanted just the locomotive in the Czech Republic.

If you want to try the manufacturer for the tender or other parts, all that I can tell you is what they say on the stage, 'Break a leg'.  LL never was much good for parts before it sold out to WKW.  WKW ain't much better.  The best manufacturers for getting parts are Our Host and Atlas.

rustycoupler

I agree, we need a tender that is similar to a Hudson  tender with that rounded top panel on the sides.

James in FL

FWIW... just a quick comment on Walthers parts and service.
I bent one of the axles on the forward truck on my Berk tender attempting to open the gauge.
I called Walthers, at the beginning of January this year, and spoke with a fellow named Keith.
I inquired about the axles and also about spare traction tires for their 0-8-0.
He had the axles (I wanted 6) but would have to check to see if he could find the tires, promising to call back in ten minutes.
He did, and said the tires would have to come from replaced unit.
He informed me they never had a stock of replacement tires, but he had found a loco and would remove them, and send them along with the wheel sets.
I would have liked to get half dozen or more but I felt lucky to get just the two.
He was a very polite and helpful gentleman.

They were on my doorstep 8 days later.
This was the first and only time I needed parts from Walthers.
Service was excellent, especially considering it was two weeks after Christmas.

gatrhumpy

Why not take the ones from the J-class or the new EM-1 locomotives?

southernsteam64

If Bachmann offers the tender for sale by itself, the new EM-1 tender is a dead ringer.