News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

spectrum 2 6 6 2

Started by ALCO1000, January 29, 2014, 09:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALCO1000

People
Anybody know if the 2 6 6 2 articulated has been updated since the first release?,reason I am asking is we had the first run that

mysteriously came up missing wile we were on vacation ,long story there .I had seen it in the online catalog and the price is at a premium

,most I have seen a Spectrum for well ever,pic will not enlarge but it says it has a metal boiler ,I do not remember that since the first run
was way too detailed to be die cast , I could be wrong.Please if anybody knows ,enlighten me.

Jack

West Bound

I'm not aware of any changes to this loco since it came out. Trainworld has these listed for $150 no sound and $250 with sound. -John

ALCO1000

Thanks for the heads up!Sounds reasonable I see more steam coming!
Jack 

electrical whiz kid

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I hope more attention will be paid to smaller steamers like the 2-6-0, and 4-6-0s.  I would like to see a really well put together 0-4-0 A-6.  It is a very nice little switcher, and a lot of roads used them.  A basic run could be detailed for one's favourite road, date time, etc.  Being essentially a New Haven/Boston and Maine fan, these little gems would certainly appeal to me.
Also, a DM&I "Yellowstone" might be made from a "stock" 2-8-8-4 unit.  Just food for thought.  Have a good day, all.
Rich C.

Doneldon

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on January 30, 2014, 08:06:23 AM
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I hope more attention will be paid to smaller steamers like the 2-6-0, and 4-6-0s.  I would like to see a really well put together 0-4-0 A-6.  It is a very nice little switcher, and a lot of roads used them.  A basic run could be detailed for one's favourite road, date time, etc.  Being essentially a New Haven/Boston and Maine fan, these little gems would certainly appeal to me.
Also, a DM&I "Yellowstone" might be made from a "stock" 2-8-8-4 unit.  Just food for thought.  Have a good day, all.
Rich C.

Whiz-

I like smaller locomotives, too, but that's not widespread among modelers. Some folks don't like steam at all (I surmise that's because they didn't see the magnificant filthy beasts actually working) and many steam fans favor the biggest, longest, heaviest engines they can find. Small switchers, 0-4-0s and even 0-6-0s, date from the early 20th Century when all steam engines were much smaller than they became in just a few short years during and just after World War I. The smaller switchers were replaced, too, first by 0-6-0s and soon by 0-8-0s. It wasn't long before mid-size locomotives like Consolidations, Mikes and Pacifics were relegated to branch lines or maybe yard duty. The little fellas were gone from big time railroading by the age of the behemoths which are so popular.

These changes render them at least somewhat anachronistic on late steam layouts. I focus on the late 1930s, for example (August, 1939, to be exact, right before the whole world went nuts), and even my 0-6-0 switchers are a bit out of place with Class One steam on the Santa Fe and D&RGW. But I keep 'em in service because they do their jobs so well for me. And, mainly, because I admire them so much. However, lots of model rails don't see the little fellas in their dreams and I think, that's why we aren't likely to see great new versions of them. The development costs just aren't justifiable in the face of a somewhat limited market. Please, somebody, please prove me wrong.
                                                                                                                                                                                  -- D

JRG1951

Dude,
Bachmann in last few years has introduced in HO:

A new 4-4-0 American. DCC and Analog
A new 4-6-0 Ten Wheeler DCC and Analog
And a new DCC Sound and Analog 2-6-0.

not to mention Their old reliable 0-6-0, 2-6-0, 2-6-2 & 2-8-0 are still abundant

John

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well. <> Unknown

ryeguyisme

You seem to have overlooked the 0-6-0 tank switcher Bachmann came out with recently as well

electrical whiz kid

JRG:  Name's not "Dude"-it's Rich.  That having been cleared up, there were a lot of smaller engines plying their trade right up into the fifties.  Boston and Maine dieselized starting in the late forties, until their takeover, but retained steam in various duties, steam having been totally gone by 56.  I can remember visiting my great aunt in Mass General-and having a great view of north Station-and seeing ten-wheelers and Moguls on head of passenger trains-as well as watching a B&M Pacific crossing Brattle St. in Arlington Heights around 53-4.  I could have it wrong-it was a lot of years ago-but I seem to recall the Pacific being painted red.

Rich C.

Doneldon

Quote from: JRG1951 on January 30, 2014, 03:12:41 PM
Dude,
Bachmann in last few years has introduced in HO:
A new 4-4-0 American. DCC and Analog
A new 4-6-0 Ten Wheeler DCC and Analog
And a new DCC Sound and Analog 2-6-0.
not to mention Their old reliable 0-6-0, 2-6-0, 2-6-2 & 2-8-0 are still abundant
John

JRG-

Am I supposed to be "Dude?" My D stands for Doneldon, my real name, not an affectation. I'm not certain that I know anyone named "Dude," except in the movies.

Yes, those models came out in the memorable past, but they aren't exactly the great new examples I said we shouldn't expect to see in the future. They are middle-of-the-road, workaday models which were not substantially upgraded from their predecessors except for the addition of DCC. So ... I stand with my prior statement that we shouldn't expect to see significantly improved versions of the various smaller locos which I believe many of us would welcome, because not enough of us would welcome them to make dramatically improved small locos economically viable.
                                                                                                                                                                  -- Doneldon