News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EM-1 at a Recent Train Show

Started by jonathan, February 05, 2014, 11:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

This past weekend was the Great Scale Model Train Show at the Maryland State Fairgrounds.

Along with shopping my face off, our local club brings a module-based layout (40' X 40'), and we run trains.  While fun for us, it also seems to be appealing to the show attendees.

I shot a few photos of my EM-1s hauling revenue.  

#7600 leading a 30-car coal train (mostly):

#7627 hauling mixed freight across an unfinished module:

I tend to shoot photos late in the afternoon, after the crowd dwindles.  We had over 7000 visitors at this show.

They still run and sound great after 2 years of steady use. The old-timers sometimes ask if they're brass.

Regards,

Jonathan

Irbricksceo

very nice, what do they say when you tell them they are Bachmann? Proof that Bachmann is far above their reputation amongst many modelers.
Modeling NYC in N

ALCO1000

Very Impressive Indeed !Bachmann hit a home run with this one ay!Hope to see this kind of quality and detail in the future Diesel offerings in the spectrum line still waiting.
Jack

jonathan

They are a bit surprised.

However, more and more of the younger crowd know they are Bachmann Locos.  Most of those in-the-know ask about installing the sound unit.  Folks seem to be wary until they hear how easy it is to intall the sound module.

Homerun indeed!

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

BaltoOhioRRfan

I was there for about 4 hrs on Saturday, should told me you were there, would have brought you some more coal cars to borrow and a custom painted bachmann caboose
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

ebtnut

Jonathon:  Not like you needed any more projects, but you may have noticed the thread about taking one of the Bachmann H-4's and turning it into a D&RGW loco.  It occurred to me that the model might also work as a basis for a B&O (ex-BR&P) KK-4.  Just a thought.  After your work on that Bachmann Connie/E-27, it might be worth considering. 

MrBandO

It's been done.  See my article in the May/June 2007 B&O Modeler....

Greg

Quote from: ebtnut on February 25, 2014, 04:36:55 PM
Jonathon:  Not like you needed any more projects, but you may have noticed the thread about taking one of the Bachmann H-4's and turning it into a D&RGW loco.  It occurred to me that the model might also work as a basis for a B&O (ex-BR&P) KK-4.  Just a thought.  After your work on that Bachmann Connie/E-27, it might be worth considering. 

jonathan

Yep.

Greg's projects have been an inspiration to me for some time now.  Hat's off to you Greg!

Thanks to him, I now have six E-27s, and two modified Heavy Mountains that look much closer to the prototype.

I have been looking for an older 2-6-6-2 to copy Greg's KK-4 project.  The rectangular tender is needed, vice the Vandy tender.

Lately, I have been bogged down by brass projects.  They are fun, but I'm wanting to get back to modifying plastic models.  The modified Spectrums are what I run regularly on my layout and train shows.

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

MrB&O:  OK, great.  I don't get B&O Modeler, just the Sentinal, so had not seen your project. 

MrBandO

Hi Jonathan:

Thanks for the hat's off--it's nice to know that someone found my articles interesting.  RE the KK-4, the newer version with the Vandy tender may be closer, since the front cylinders are duplicates of those on the KK engines, unlike the one I did.  As you say, the tender is wrong, but the correct tenders are available on eBay.  You may have to switch the boards to get it to work on the newer 2-6-6-2, but that isn't too big of a deal.  Also, the cab may be wrong, but Athearn USRA Pacific/Mike cabs are also available on eBay.  You do end up with an extra Vandy tender, which is just about the right size for a Q-4b....

Greg

Quote from: jonathan on February 26, 2014, 10:03:10 AM
Yep.

Greg's projects have been an inspiration to me for some time now.  Hat's off to you Greg!

Thanks to him, I now have six E-27s, and two modified Heavy Mountains that look much closer to the prototype.

I have been looking for an older 2-6-6-2 to copy Greg's KK-4 project.  The rectangular tender is needed, vice the Vandy tender.

Lately, I have been bogged down by brass projects.  They are fun, but I'm wanting to get back to modifying plastic models.  The modified Spectrums are what I run regularly on my layout and train shows.

Regards,

Jonathan

MrBandO

EBTNUT:

Oh, no problem, I wasn't trying to sharpshoot you, just wanted to call attention to the fact that it is a very doable project.

Unfortunately, nobody gets B&O Modeler anymore.  Which is a shame, since the B&O is such a modelable road, and I think there are lots of great projects out there for people to share.

Greg

Quote from: ebtnut on February 26, 2014, 10:20:03 AM
MrB&O:  OK, great.  I don't get B&O Modeler, just the Sentinal, so had not seen your project. 

ACY

Quote from: jonathan on February 05, 2014, 11:52:43 AM
They still run and sound great after 2 years of steady use. The old-timers sometimes ask if they're brass.
Jonathan what is the approximate pulling power of one of your EM-1's on level track?

jonathan

ACY,

I really don't know.

While that one time I pulled 30 cars easily, that is not the norm for me.  I usually pull no more than 20 cars.  If I increase the number of cars, I normallly put a second locomotive on (doublehead).

The EM-1 is a strong puller.  However, I wish for these locos to last a long time, so I try not to push the envelope.

My frieght cars are all extremely free-rolling.  If one cars drags even the least little bit, I don't use it.

I'm sure the EM-1 could pull 40+ free-rolling cars on level track, but I don't do it.  There are a number of small connector parts between the motor and the gears.  Don't want to wear them down prematurely.

Regards,

Jonathan