how to hook up remote turnout to power supply

Started by tonetheman, February 09, 2014, 05:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonetheman

My kid (and I) just purchased a Bachman Thunder Valley n scale set. It has a power supply in it 46605a.

We also purchased a remote turnout 44862. I am not smart enough to hook the turnout into the system apparently. There is a red wire that looks like in the diagram should be hooked to some plastic poles on the power supply, which I cannot figure out to do. Is there some other piece of something I need or should have been sold with the turnout?

I am clueless.

Jerrys HO

see if this diagram helps. you may have to cut the ends to hook up to the power supply accessory poles.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO__6_Turnouts_Instructions.pdf

Jerry

tonetheman

Ha, that is the diagram I was clueless about ha.

We have the power supply with the plastic things on the right side and then Part B (the direction switch) that came with it.

So you think I should cut the plastic poles on the power supply? I was hoping that was not the right thing to do. I kept looking at those things trying to wrench them off or see if could get a connection in the tiny holes in each one of them.

Gah.

Jerrys HO

NO do not cut the poles. Sounds like yours has the accessory poles. Cut the red wire and feed thru those tiny holes in the pole. Make sure to cut the wire opposite of the black plug.
I usually solder the ends of the wire to get a good connection through the holes in the accessory poles.

tonetheman

Ok I was able to jam enough of the red wire down in there to get the connection. I then hooked the other portion and verified the switch would actually work. Woohoo. Funny they would go to the trouble to make those plastic poles when they are almost just in the way... should just leave them open so it would be easier or more obvious to idiots like myself.

thanks for the help.

Jerrys HO

Did you push down on the top of the pole to expose the hole better?