News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound question

Started by Dale229, February 14, 2014, 07:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale229

I have a g scale spectrum 2-8-0. With no sound. Can I take the sound module from a big hauler and install in my 2-8-0. If anyone has done this or something like it. Please let me know. The wiring diagram for the 2-8-0. Shows the 2 wire connector from loco is for sound. I assume this is for the chuff sensor.

Thanks

Loco Bill Canelos

Yes the wires from the loco are for the chuff sensor.  You will need to extend them in the tender to the 4-6-0 BH chuff sensor.   You can use a battery holder and hook the power wires from the 4-6-0 9v battery leads to the track power leads in the 2-8-0  or add a battery to replace the one in the 4-6-0, or do both.

Have fun with it.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Dale229

Thanks Bill, the leads coming out of 2-8-0 are both black. The leads from the BH 4-6-0 don't indicate which is + or - does it matter? The connectors don't match so will be removing the one on the 4-6-0 sound card. This is just a temporary thing until I can put some better in but don't want damage 2-8-0.

Thanks again,   Dale

Loco Bill Canelos

The leads from the chuff sensor do not matter, but it does matter for the 9 volt input to the BH sound board.  Now that I think about it the idea of powering the sound board from the track input is not a good idea, unless you put some kind of rectifier which keeps the polarity to the sound board the same as the battery voltage.

I'm hopeful one of our electronics experts can supply the necessary circuitry to make it work from track  power because that aspect of it is over my head!!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Dale229

Thanks Bill, I think I can resolve the polarity issue with a 6 pole relay. Or I can just hook it up like it was in the BH.

Thanks Again,   Dale