News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Voltage

Started by rookie123, February 15, 2014, 05:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 15, 2014, 07:28:37 PM
Yes, I believe anyone who reads this board, is well aware of that.

I have belonged to many train forums for some years. Some toss the manual. Some don't read the manual. Seen that quite often. They then ask in a forum.
Had to replace the fuse in one once. I have three meters so it is always easy to find one near my work area. Bought a forth recently out in the garage for possible car work.

The club members have them also.
Been using meters for many years. Always keeps spare fusses on hand.
Have not had to use the expensive meter or the analogue meter in quite some time.

Even the TEK 475 Scope sits in the back room as the cheap Velleman Scope does everything I have needed for DCC and home electronics experimenting.

Rich

rookie123

Thanks a bunch guys. I'll get a meter for sure with all the advice I got. Don't know why I did not look at the unit - it's clearly marked.

jbrock27

Rich G. have no idea why people don't read or for that matter toss any manuals they have for any working piece of equipment they have.  That is their foolishness in MHO.  Of course if they are not the original owner of the item, that is another matter entirely.  That is what the internet if for, right?  GOOGLE is friends to all of us?

Sounds like you have a meter for everyday of the week.  I guess that's good if you don't want to take the time to retrieve one single meter from one central location each time you need to use it.
Keep Calm and Carry On

trainmainbrian

Quote from: rookie123 on February 15, 2014, 05:19:52 PM
I have the Bachamann HO trains and power supply units. What voltage is it? Need to know so I get the right street lights and other building lights.

Thanks,
Rookie

You can also get power from your layout wire as well to run lights No need to get another power supply..
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

jbrock27

Does that apply to DCC?  Bc most lights (not LEDs) operate off AC and not DC if DC is used to power the track.
Thank you.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

jbrock;
HI; Yeah, they are expensive-or can be.  Klein tools are OK; Klein of course, gets their stuff from various vendors.  I have had probably a dozen or so "serious" type meters over 40-odd years I have been an electrician.  I also have a Simpson for bench work; probably the best analog meter I have ever owned.  It is probably older than methusela.... 
A good way to keep "track" of how accurate meters are is to take a fresh nine-volt battery from time to time, and check the meter.  Not foolproof, but it does work.
Rich C.

jbrock27

:D
Thanks for the tip Rich!
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

You can also get power from your layout wire as well to run lights No need to get another power supply..
[/quote]
Trainbrain,
Not the best thing to do if you run more than a couple loco's at a time. Better have a good power supply if you are doing that. Especially if you are running sound or DCC.
Not hard to find another 12v source for powering accessories.

Jerry

electrical whiz kid

Jerry;
That will work for sure, but you are better off to segregate your wiring, one from the other; remember the poem, "The treaty of Ghent"...
One thing I have learned (the hard way) since the introduction of electronics into AC motor controls is that [they] can do mysterious things with extraneous signals.  Another guy who could tell many tales about electronic "experiments" was the late Les Paul.
Rich c.