News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Voltage

Started by rookie123, February 15, 2014, 05:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rookie123

I have the Bachamann HO trains and power supply units. What voltage is it? Need to know so I get the right street lights and other building lights.

Thanks,
Rookie

rogertra

It will tell you the voltage on your power supply.

If DC, then it's 12VDC to the track and probably a 12VAC for accessories.

Just read the labels on your power supply.

Cheers

Roger.

jbrock27

Rook, I suggest you get yourself a multi meter, this way you can check AC, DC, resistance, whenever and wherever you want.  SEARS currently has a Craftsman model on sale for $12.99 that has 8 functions and 20 ranges.  You could also find them at HOME DEPOT, LOWE'S or TRUE VALUE hardware stores.  It will have a multitude of uses beyond model trains as well.  Some recommend one from HARBOR FREIGHT bc it is cheap; I do not.  But that is just my opinion, in part based on how many who purchase it, post a review of its poor performance and how they would not "recommend" buying one.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Yes, I believe anyone who reads this board, is well aware of that.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

I have two of the Harbor Freight one,s and one Klein 1000. I use the HF one's the most.

jbrock27

Is that bc it is the one that is handiest (closest by), Jerry to where and when you find yourself looking to use one?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Nah, Why break out my hundred dollar meter when my one 9.95 and my one free with coupon work just as good. I have put one at each end of the layout though so I don't have to keep getting up and walking to the other side of the garage.
If it get's serious though out comes the Klein. Mainly use it on my auto's.

jbrock27

Thank you for clarifying.  I hope you provided feedback on HFs website recommending the meter.
My way less that $100 SPERRY has served me well for the last 10 years or so and before that, a RADIO SHACK analog meter which I keep in my truck.  Both have been used for household and automotive diagnoses as well.  I can rely it and would rather have 1 tool I can rely on rather than 1 "I don't care if it stops working tomorrow" (or if I run it over with my truck or I drop it on concrete) and 1 that is my "good one".  I have never had to replace any fuses in them either, which if memory serves me, Mr. G has mentioned having to replace the HF's fuses from time to time.  And no, it's not about the expense, I understand he has said they are cheap, it is about the inconveninece of grabbing something I need to work only to find some 15 cent fuse needs to be replaced.
Can I ask, if you had the KLEIN already, why'd you buy the first HF you have? (the 2nd I get, bc of the free coupon)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Yes you may ask. I bought the first HF because I could not find where I put the Klein so HF is 2 miles away and went and got one till I found mine.
Finding it was hard since my dad borrowed it and never returned it. Wow, that's usually the other way around.
Give it a rest Jim ::).

By the way have not had to replace a fuse yet.

jbrock27

LOL!! (re: temporarily misplaced meter)
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

I have a Fluke, which I like for general usage in my trade.  They are reasonable and reliable.  Don't buy a cheap piece of junk-you will kick yourself.
Rich C.

jbrock27

Thank you Rich.  I think we are in the minority mindset.  My dad's had a FLUKE that he brought home from Physics class when he retired.  The thing has been flawless for 20+ years now.  If I am not mistaken, I do believe they are a bit more expensive than my HOME DEPOT special or Jerry's KLEIN though.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 15, 2014, 08:18:01 PM
Thank you Rich.  I think we are in the minority mindset.  My dad's had a FLUKE that he brought home from Physics class when he retired.  The thing has been flawless for 20+ years now.  If I am not mistaken, I do believe they are a bit more expensive than my HOME DEPOT special or Jerry's KLEIN though.

The price depends on the model. My meter is comparable to Flukes 114 which is about 140.00.
I had a Fluke long time ago when I was an auto mechanic and guess what? my brother had one a couple months later just like mine, same initials scribed in it and all ;D. I think he misplaced it. ::)

Jerry

jbrock27

LOL again!

Wow, that is more than I thought but, that is definitely a good meter in my book.  It will last you for 30+ years as long as it is not misplaced Mr. B!
Keep Calm and Carry On