Please help with N scale EM-1 decoder programming

Started by kmcsjr, March 06, 2014, 08:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmcsjr

Greetings
First, hey Bach Man. I love this new loco. I'd like to add it to my JMRI roster, but the decoder shows up as not listed. Also, I can't an instruction sheet for the decoder. Can anyone help me with the decoder instruction sheet. Also, if anyone has the xml for JMRI, it would be a BONUS.

Thanks

skipgear

Just pick one of the standard 2 output Bachmann decoders, it works fine. Can't remember exactly which one but I didn't have any problems. It's just a basic decoder, no speed tables, no vmid or vmax, and some lighting features.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

kmcsjr

Tony thanks. But but but... Back emf has been added, so can the B Man confirm there is no other control added?

Thanks  :)

skipgear

Mine sure don't act like they have BEMF. I've pulled 60+ car trains, had a break away and the loco bolted off at twice the speed it was running while pulling the train.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

kmcsjr

Wierd. I will put a load behind it tonight, i have been "breaking it in"... OK, ive been watching it run. Because it is cool looking. It creeps so well, im believing the press release on bemf.
Maybe i will call Bachmann today. Or better, check back and find the BMann has come through with decoder info!

richg

Quote from: kmcsjr on March 11, 2014, 08:38:00 AM
Wierd. I will put a load behind it tonight, i have been "breaking it in"... OK, ive been watching it run. Because it is cool looking. It creeps so well, im believing the press release on bemf.
Maybe i will call Bachmann today. Or better, check back and find the BMann has come through with decoder info!

Last I knew. the decoder info is right in the Parts page. I have seen the info there a number of times.

Rich

kmcsjr

Quote from: richg on March 11, 2014, 04:02:16 PM
Quote from: kmcsjr on March 11, 2014, 08:38:00 AM

Last I knew. the decoder info is right in the Parts page. I have seen the info there a number of times.

Rich

Rich. I dont see parts for the em1. The dcc on board downloads the 2 function decoder. Jmri is saying it isnt that decoder. Ie i don't get a match. Is jmri just reading it wrong?
Please chime in bmann....

StanAmes

Quote from: kmcsjr on March 06, 2014, 08:32:01 PM
Greetings
First, hey Bach Man. I love this new loco. I'd like to add it to my JMRI roster, but the decoder shows up as not listed. Also, I can't an instruction sheet for the decoder. Can anyone help me with the decoder instruction sheet. Also, if anyone has the xml for JMRI, it would be a BONUS.

Thanks

The decoder in the EM1 is a new 3 function decoder (outputs A B and C) and I do not believe this decoder is available as an after market product.

While Bachmann designed and manufacturered this decoder specifically for the EM1, the chip on the decoder is basically a Lenz Silver decoder without RailCom support.  The JMRI Lenz Silver (not Silver +) is likely the closest.  Note also however that the JMRI xml is missing quite a few CVs for most of the Lenz decoders.

This particular decoder has excellent back emf while the standard Bachmann decoder does not.

Hope that helps

Stan

kmcsjr

Quote from: StanAmes on March 18, 2014, 09:50:52 AM
Quote from: kmcsjr on March 06, 2014, 08:32:01 PM
Greetings

Thanks

The decoder in the EM1 is a new 3 function decoder (outputs A B and C) and I do not believe this decoder is available as an after market product.

While Bachmann designed and manufacturered this decoder specifically for the EM1, the chip on the decoder is basically a Lenz Silver decoder without RailCom support.  The JMRI Lenz Silver (not Silver +) is likely the closest.  Note also however that the JMRI xml is missing quite a few CVs for most of the Lenz decoders.

This particular decoder has excellent back emf while the standard Bachmann decoder does not.

Hope that helps

Stan

Thank you Stan. I got a similar response from Bachmann tech support. I'm out of town, so i can't play with it. They are hoping to post some documentation. When i get home, i will look at the lenz silver instructions.