Replacing Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 headlight

Started by charlii, October 02, 2007, 06:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlii

I am considering removing the headlight from a N gauge Spectrum 2-8-0, which is mounted on center of smoke box, and replacing it with a Pennsylvania Railroad light to be mounted at top of smoke box front.
Anyone's experience with such modification, would be appreciated.

fieromike

Quote from: charlii on October 02, 2007, 06:30:51 PM
I am considering removing the headlight from a N gauge Spectrum 2-8-0, which is mounted on center of smoke box, and replacing it with a Pennsylvania Railroad light to be mounted at top of smoke box front.
Anyone's experience with such modification, would be appreciated.
The headlight led on the 2-8-0 is located inside the boiler and piped into the headlight housing via the small round piece between the headlight and the front of the smokebox.  You might be able to use a smd led and hook the wires  to the original led solder pads.  Its tight in there!

Mike

Inder

I would love to see the results.  Will you please share with us?

Inder

Wow that's impressive!
Do you have pictures of the front?
What did you do to cover up the hole where the headlight used to go?
Pennsylvania railroad light?  What brand loco is that?
Thanks.

Inder

That looks really awesome.

Thanks for the pictures.  I don't think I can do that modification but I will give it a try.

Inder

Thanks for the drawings.  I will be waiting for your updates..

bigjay7691

I currently have mine is a state ready for my decoder installation.

As I have investigated pretty much everything about it, I can tell you, the headlight is not only an LED, but it is on a 1/2 cm x 1/2 cm board with a resistor to limit the current.  Since's it's still only dcc ready, an LED up there needs some sort of resistance.

You could probably install a lamp from other bachmann engines.. I have a 4-8-4 analog, which has a bulb directly wired between positive and negative power.. I can't see what that would not work, but fitting it and wiring it would tough.

Jay

Inder

Jay,

Yes for LED's you definitely need a resistor connected in series to limit the current otherwise your LED will burn out.

Guys there is a rule of thumb resistor for LEDS on locomotives.  Is it 600ohms?
Yes it's over kill but better safe than sorry.  If it's too dim then
You can also use ohm's law v=ir

So find the resisitor value by substracting your LED's voltage from your power supply's and dividing by the LED's maximum allowed current.