Alco 2-6-0 - Various problems people are having.

Started by rogertra, April 11, 2014, 05:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

I've noticed a few problems people are having with the Alco 2-6-0.

Sound decoder seems to be one of them.

Drive wheels lifting or wobbling seems to be another.

Another seems to be the main pin that holds the main rod and the eccentric crank onto the drive wheel fails or the eccentric crank hole goes out of round resulting in the eccentric crank dropping down and not rotating.

This latter failure has just happened to one of my two 2-6-0s.  The right hand eccentric crank and eccentric rod now just hang down and foul the right hand rail causing a short.  :(

Carefully trying to push the main pin back into the driving wheel has resulted in the main pin failing.

Now, do I try and find parts on line?  This could be pretty difficult as many parts manufacturers for kitbashers and scratch builders are no longer being made, or do I send my detailed and weather engine back to Bachmann for repair and get another engine as a replacement?

Guess I'll contact Bachmann repairs and see if I can just send the locomotive chassis back as I don't want them to replace my detailed and weathered engine with whatever they happened to have on hand.

BTW, if you don't understand steam engine motion technical terms, here's a guide: -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0a/Baker_valve_gear.jpg

Cheers

Roger.

rogertra

Further to the 2-6-0 problem below.

Maybe a silly question but I'm asking before I tackle it.

Is there any reason why I can't remove the sound decoder and speaker from the disabled 2-6-0 and install it in another Spectrum engine with an 8 pin DCC plug on board?

Cheers

Roger.

Doneldon

Roger-

Return the Mogul chassis; keep the superstructure and the tender.

I can't think of a reason why you can't swap the decoder into another loco with the 8-pin plug.

-- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on April 11, 2014, 11:29:32 PM
Roger-

Return the Mogul chassis; keep the superstructure and the tender.

I can't think of a reason why you can't swap the decoder into another loco with the 8-pin plug.

-- D

Doneldon

Thanks for the advice.  I've e-mail Bachmann suggesting just a chassis return so I'll await their response before taking the risk of sending just the chassis back to them.

Had a look inside a 4-6-0 tender of a DCC ready engine and the arrangement of the circuit board is not conducive to a drop in change, it's a little more involved so I think I'll hold off on that idea.

Now I need to find a drop in sound DCC system for my three 4-6-0s.

Cheers

Roger.

electrical whiz kid

Roger;
Instead of going through the rig-marole of decoder swaps, why not just go to Tony's trains, et al, and get a decoder from them; either a Tsunami, or another similar, that will do as good a job as what is stock.  Tony's is a good outfit with which to do business.  I have installed Tsunamis in most of my Bachmann engines I had bought "DCC-ready", and there was no apparent insurmountable problem to be faced.  Both loco and decoder are quality products.
Rich C.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on April 12, 2014, 09:56:55 AM
Roger;
Instead of going through the rig-marole of decoder swaps, why not just go to Tony's trains, et al, and get a decoder from them; either a Tsunami, or another similar, that will do as good a job as what is stock.  Tony's is a good outfit with which to do business.  I have installed Tsunamis in most of my Bachmann engines I had bought "DCC-ready", and there was no apparent insurmountable problem to be faced.  Both loco and decoder are quality products.
Rich C.

Rich.

After taking the 4-6-0 tender apart, that's the conclusion I came to.  Just install a suitable sound decoder in the DCC ready tender.  As you say, swapping the decoder over into another tender just doesn't seem to be worth the rigmarole.  :)

It'll be nice to finally see my three 4-6-0s run, they've never been out of their boxes, except for a test run on my old DC layout.

Cheers

Roger

ALCO0001

Roger,
I had a couple of Alco 2 6 0 and the issues they have really do not have to do with the design .I had taken a few apart since there was some problems and I was curious,LOOKS like no fault of Bachmann , the design is great for any price ,but when you find loose screws and metal flashing on the frame of a completed model ,that sloppy work goes back to the builder.Apparently They are catching up and are aware that there is a issue with documented pictures,findings,when I spoke to LH .Iam in no sort a rivet counter ,just believe that the basic mechanics should be good first before detail and sound  .
They have your parts,But I recommend IF IT IS LESS THAN A YEAR,Talk to THE SERVICE MANAGER,and have them replace it,But Like I said I tried 2 and both went back,and it was replaced with a something else a little better in steam power.The Bachmann does seriously back up what he sells.My new 440 SOUNDS GREAT!

rogertra

Quote from: ALCO0001 on April 12, 2014, 06:50:45 PM
Roger,
I had a couple of Alco 2 6 0 and the issues they have really do not have to do with the design .I had taken a few apart since there was some problems and I was curious,LOOKS like no fault of Bachmann , the design is great for any price ,but when you find loose screws and metal flashing on the frame of a completed model ,that sloppy work goes back to the builder.Apparently They are catching up and are aware that there is a issue with documented pictures,findings,when I spoke to LH .Iam in no sort a rivet counter ,just believe that the basic mechanics should be good first before detail and sound  .
They have your parts,But I recommend IF IT IS LESS THAN A YEAR,Talk to THE SERVICE MANAGER,and have them replace it,But Like I said I tried 2 and both went back,and it was replaced with a something else a little better in steam power.The Bachmann does seriously back up what he sells.My new 440 SOUNDS GREAT!

Sending the engine back as a complete unit is NOT an option if all Bachmann does is simply replace it and not repair it.

The engine has extra details added, the missing boiler bands have been added, sand pipes down by the wheels etc., and has been custom decaled with my own road name and has been weathered.  I'm not going to send all that work back if all they do is simply send me another engine.  If it was a non customized engine then sending it back would not be a problem.

Cheers

Roger.

Bucksco

Call the service department at (215) 533-1600 and ask for the service manager. Sending in just the chassis should not be a problem.

rogertra

Quote from: Yardmaster on April 12, 2014, 10:39:56 PM
Call the service department at (215) 533-1600 and ask for the service manager. Sending in just the chassis should not be a problem.

I'll phone them Wednesday, I'm working Sunday to Tuesday and won't have phone access.

Thanks Mr. B.

Roger.