News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

storing trains

Started by union pacific 4014, June 21, 2014, 03:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 4014

will they be safe in a shed for storage ? ??? im out in the country  so im not worried them getting stolen and im home most the time anyway im worried about them being  in the house because  the  smoke detectors keep going and you  can smell something warm ever few days i don't want to lose what little bit i got and save for months to get   im sure you would hate to lose your train collection to 

Pops

I'd be more worried about my life than my trains in that situation.

grsman

UP4014
Maybe you should stay in the shed too!
Tim

jbrock27

The more important questions are: a) why are the smoke detectors sounding?  b) what is it that is getting "warm"? and c) why is said thing, getting warm in the 1st place?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Matt

I agree with the last three responses.
Pops is dead on (no pun intended).
grsman is right, I would not stay in the house till I knew it was safe.
jbrock is wondering? a) have you checked the batteries in the alarm, b)whatever is getting warm get it checked or replaced.

Your safety is more important than the trains.

Jerry

union pacific 4014

ok i know life more  important then train  and im not only live in the house  theirs my parents my little brother witch just gradated form high school  and my little sister that still in  high school   where living in a mobile home that was built in 2011   my parents  bought new at the end of 2011   after  3 trees  fall on our old house  my parents are still  paying for the mortgage on mobile home where kinda have bad luck lately 

Doneldon

4014-

Like everyone else, my overriding concern is personal safety, not where you have your trains. However, the others have covered that issue well so I'll go on to your original question.

I wouldn't keep trains in a shed, or at least not in what I think of a shed. To me, a shed is a small, possibly somewhat run-down outbuilding lacking security, insulation, HVAC, protection from vermin and plumbing, but possibly having an electric light hanging in the middle and perhaps an outlet for a tool. I guess that's my early-childhood, country kid vision of a shed. But I know, being an urban or suburban person for most of my life, that shed can also mean a pretty neat, nicely designed and built, and well-maintained possibly prefab building in the back yard. But you know what? I don't think I'd keep trains there either if I had a reasonable alternative. My reasons are that regardless of the quality of a structure, an unoccupied building is always a magnet for things like mice, squirrels and raccoons, any of which will reek havoc on model railroad gear. Wires and details get chewed, droppings go everywhere and things can be seriously damaged in a very short time. Throw in the possibility of theft or vandalism and the certainty of the destructive effects of temperature extremes, and you have an unsuitable place for storage of anything more than yard tools and bicycles. If its roof leaks, a shed isn't even appropriate for shovels and lawn mowers. (Unless, of course, the alternative is leaving things in the open or tucked under a bed.
                                                                                                                   -- D

rogertra

You're kidding right?

Your smoke detectors are going off?

There's this "warm" feeling, or do you mean the smell of hot electrics?

And you're concerned about your toy train collection?

Man, do you need a serious correction to your priorities list.

Cheers

Roger T.

union pacific 4014

ok im not going  to run  trains in a shed  is shed a good place for safe keeping until room to set up a layout again

jward

i think you're missing what everybody is trying to tell you. if something isn't done about the smoke alarm and burning smell, it won't matter where your trains are. the signs are all there for a house fire, and ignoring them is only going to lead to disaster. if nobody will fix the problem then you nee to be out of there until the problem is fixed.   peroid,,,,, end of story.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

WoundedBear

I know that in Canada the parents would be smart enough to handle this.

Things must be different in America.

Sid

union pacific 4014

my parents  had it  checked  out but nothing found  and the smoke detectors go off   ever time my parents are cooking or when it's hot outside and the  warm  smell    is coming form one room  my parents  room

jbrock27

I am sure you are right Sid, bc afterall, there certainly aren't any dimwitted parents in Canada ::)

Ok, smoke detectors going off from cooking smoke, I can understand.  UP, is there an exhaust fan above the stove?  If so, have it run, on high, when cooking, if this has not been thought of already.  The other things I would not be letting go, until I found out the reason(s) why.

Doc, somehow, I think given the circumstances described, that the shed, you describe as pretty neat, nicely designed and built, and well-maintained possibly prefab building is not the kind UP has available to him.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Desertdweller

So, the smell happens when the stove is being used, but the smell is in your parents' bedroom?

Do you have an electric stove?  Is the breaker box in your parents' bedroom?

Like with a model railroad, an overload in one place can cause a problem in another.

I would suspect the stove is drawing more current than the house is able to supply.  I would get a different electrician in to check out the stove and wiring.

If you do not have an electric stove, check for something else that runs at the same time the stove is being used, but not usually at other times (an exhaust fan, maybe)?

Les

union pacific 4014

no it not the stove that was checked last month   by a repairman   and no the breaker box  is in the hall way yes there a exhaust fan  a above the stove and its run ever time the stove used  there is a chest  freezer in my parents room that could be it  to much for the wiring to handle