News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-2 coupler

Started by Irbricksceo, July 26, 2014, 04:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

Hey all, what's the coupler on the tender in the SY 2-8-2? The springs dropped from mine so I need to replace and It's unusual in that the shank is lower than the coupler meaning it rises up, like a stair shape.

Thanks!
Modeling NYC in N

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

If the shank (part of the coupler which goes into the coupler pocket and meets the coupler knuckle) is lower than center on the knuckle, it is an underset shank. If the shank is centered in the knuckle, it is a centerset shank. If it is higher on the knuckle, it is an overset shank. What you have is an underset shank coupler.

RAM

why not replace the spring?

Irbricksceo

I do not think you quite understand what I mean (the under/center/upper) Shanks

I'm not aware of anyway to replace that tiny spring

In any event, I found out when I went to my LHS to look, it's a NEM Coupler. Unfortunatly, I bought medium when I needed short so I still need to get it but at least I know now.
Modeling NYC in N

rogertra

Quote from: Irbricksceo on July 27, 2014, 12:06:00 AM

In any event, I found out when I went to my LHS to look, it's a NEM Coupler. Unfortunatly, I bought medium when I needed short so I still need to get it but at least I know now.

If you are in North America, why would you use a NEM coupler?

Cheers

Roger T.

Irbricksceo

The reason is, at least I suspect, because the SY is a chinese Locomotive that Bachmann Brought over to represent the SY owned by the NYSW up in New Jersey. The Model however is the same, just a different Paint job.
Modeling NYC in N

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: rogertra on July 27, 2014, 02:16:32 AM
Quote from: Irbricksceo on July 27, 2014, 12:06:00 AM

If you are in North America, why would you use a NEM coupler?

Cheers

Roger T.

Another reason to be using NEM couplers if you live in North America is if you run British or Continental Europe prototype engines with your American trains and you want the couplers to be compatable. I myself have a few British model trains I have fitted with NEM compatible knuckle couplers so I could run them with American rolling stock if I wanted to even though I have some Birtish prototype rolling stock.

electrical whiz kid

As a somewhat simple solution to a seemingly large problem, why not just get a track-mounted coupler gauge-like the one kadee has-and adopt a set of standards for yourself based upon what two men with more years of experience than most of you have on this earth have cobbled together?  By gum, it works for me.

Rich C.

Jhanecker2

To MilwaukeeRoadfan261 :  I have used the Bachmann  NEM coupler  to convert   UK & Continental  cars for use with  North American locoes and  cars and it worked  quite well & conveiently . John2

Irbricksceo

Indeed, I have yet to track down the one I need since Bachmann seems to only make the medium shank (the short must be china specific) so I need to find another manufacturer. In ant event, NEM can be used to stadards conversoin and I at one point was considering using some UK rollingstock.
Modeling NYC in N

Doneldon

Quote from: Irbricksceo on August 13, 2014, 07:08:54 PM
I have yet to track down the one I need since Bachmann seems to only make the medium shank (the short must be china specific)/quote]

Irb-

Aha! Another advantage of using Kadees which we don't always mention when extolling their
virtues: couplers for special situations and locos always readily available.
                                                                                                                -- D

railtwister

Walthers list Kadee knuckle couplers made with NEM mounting shanks, the short one is sku #380-17. It may be what you need...

Bill in FtL

electrical whiz kid

Doneldon;
Good response.  Kadee is THE "go-to" coupler system; not just for their wide-applications of couplers, but also because of their de-facto technical support pertaining to same.   I can remember seeing the "new display" at the LHS when I was about ten, and just drooling.  I have no real experience with Bachmann's couplers so cannot speak one way or the other, but Kadee is my comfort level.
Rich C.