Hey Mr B, what happened to sound modules? (e.g. re the new 2-8-2)

Started by Searsport, August 01, 2014, 08:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

I note the new 2-8-2, some to be produced with "Sound Value", and some just DCC Ready, including Frisco and Rock Island. I am sure I recall you announcing a new policy a couple of years ago that, starting with the EM-1, for new locos there would be a separately available plug-in sound module so that anyone could upgrade to sound, whatever their road, instead of the old 'some roads get sound and others don't' approach.

Are these 'plug-and-play' sound modules in the pipeline for new locos like the 2-8-2, or has that idea been scrapped?

Best Regards,
Bill.

Bucksco

The sound modules are available for new spectrum locomotives. The decoder/sound chip on Sound Value locos are built into the PC board thus they are not modular.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: Searsport on August 01, 2014, 08:26:31 PM
I note the new 2-8-2, some to be produced with "Sound Value", and some just DCC Ready, including Frisco and Rock Island. I am sure I recall you announcing a new policy a couple of years ago that, starting with the EM-1, for new locos there would be a separately available plug-in sound module so that anyone could upgrade to sound, whatever their road, instead of the old 'some roads get sound and others don't' approach.

Are these 'plug-and-play' sound modules in the pipeline for new locos like the 2-8-2, or has that idea been scrapped?

Best Regards,
Bill.

Which was a huge let down for me as(get ready for a shocker) I'd like to get a B&O Mikado, BUT I DO NOT DO sound and with it only coming out with sound means I wont be buying one any time soon unless the announcement gets revised to include a non sound B&O version.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

richg

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on August 02, 2014, 03:12:46 PM
Quote from: Searsport on August 01, 2014, 08:26:31 PM

Best Regards,
Bill.

Which was a huge let down for me as(get ready for a shocker) I'd like to get a B&O Mikado, BUT I DO NOT DO sound and with it only coming out with sound means I wont be buying one any time soon unless the announcement gets revised to include a non sound B&O version.

The quote says sound and DCC Ready.

Rich

rogertra

Let me see if I have this right.

I have several Spectrum steam locomotives.  2-8-0s, 2-10-0s, heavy and light 4-8-2s all of which are DCC ready.  i.e. they have plug on the circuit board.

Are Bachmann now saying there is, or will be, a sound module available that I can plug into these locomotives to make them both DCC and sound equipped?

Nothing extra to purchase?  No speaker?  No DCC board?  Just one module that will give me both DCC and sound?

If so, where and when do I find these modules as I have half a dozen locos waiting for them.

Cheers

Roger T.

ACY

Quote from: rogertra on August 02, 2014, 05:01:54 PM
Let me see if I have this right.

I have several Spectrum steam locomotives.  2-8-0s, 2-10-0s, heavy and light 4-8-2s all of which are DCC ready.  i.e. they have plug on the circuit board.

Are Bachmann now saying there is, or will be, a sound module available that I can plug into these locomotives to make them both DCC and sound equipped?

Nothing extra to purchase?  No speaker?  No DCC board?  Just one module that will give me both DCC and sound?

If so, where and when do I find these modules as I have half a dozen locos waiting for them.
Roger,
Bachmann is not saying that at all. Your understanding is completely incorrect in fact.
I will try to explain this to you more clearly. For any new releases in the Bachmann Spectrum HO scale line for steam locomotives (this does not apply to models that you already have in your possession that were Bachmann Spectrum) there will be a sound module available for separate sale to add sound to the locomotive but it will not add DCC, as the Spectrum steam locomotives that this pertains to already have DCC, the appropriate boards present and a speaker already installed should you choose to purchase the sound module.

So far this module is only available as an add on for the HO EM-1 2-8-8-4
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-44951-Plug-and-Play-Sound-Module-Decoder-p/bac-44951.htm

A module is also available for the Bachmann Spectrum On30 Heisler

A module is not available for any other locomotives and these modules are not compatible with any other locomotives. There is no product on the market currently as you described. For your Spectrum locomotives you will need to purchase a DCC Sound Decoder of your choice and purchase a Speaker and Baffle and install the sound just like you would in any other locomotive. The Spectrum 2-8-8-4 already has the speaker and appropriate board inside the tender whereas no other Bachmann HO locomotives have this.

The Bachmann Soundvalue locomotives have the sound built into the board for the locomotive and do not utilize independent modules that may be removed or used separately. Therefore no separate sale of the sound modules for these locomotives are available. 

Bucksco

The new On30 Whitcomb Diesel also has this setup. Anything produced from the EM-1 forward in Spectrum.

richg

The What's New page says the 2-8-2 will have eight pin socket in the tender. Pay attention to the details in the new releases page.

Rich

rogertra

Thanks ACY, that cleared it up.

Too bad, I was hoping for a simple sound + DCC addition for my existing Spectrum steam.

Guess is back to the $100+ WOW sound + DCC.  :(

Cheers

Roger T.

richg

Bachmann is noted for changing canoes in the middle of the stream. lol
Always look at the details in the ads.
Keeping up with a few other forums helps a lot. Once in a while I see details about a Bachmann product before there is any news here. Usually from someone who has just been to a train show and has talked with a Bachmann rep.
From what I am seeing, the 21 pin arraignment seems like it is becoming popular.

Rich

ACY

Quote from: rogertra on August 02, 2014, 06:05:15 PM
Thanks ACY, that cleared it up.
Too bad, I was hoping for a simple sound + DCC addition for my existing Spectrum steam.
Guess is back to the $100+ WOW sound + DCC.  :(
The MSRP for the EM-1 Sound Module is $130. So either way you are paying $100-150 to add sound to your locomotives, even if such technology did exist you would not be saving any money, you would just save a little bit of your time.

WoundedBear

A sound module in the new two truck Climax is going to be nice. Those things are a bugger to get sound into.

Speaking of the two truck Climax, when could we expect them to arrive? By Xmas? I have a few I have been saving for warranty, as I didn't want a 3 truck Shay or Climax in return. Good thing I'm anal about keeping receipts. I can finally get these things replaced. I know a few other modellers who have been waiting for this as well.

These units were not just simple driveline failures. I repaired all of the Climax models with driveline issues, with parts from Bachmann, but these ones have definite motor and internal gear issues.

Sid

richg

Might not apply to any one here but some might be interested in the below.

Bachmann Branchline 36-559 DCC 21-pin to 8-pin adaptor/converter. For locos with 21-pin sockets to use an 8-pin decoder in.

Rich

Searsport

Quote from: Yardmaster on August 01, 2014, 09:25:24 PM
The sound modules are available for new spectrum locomotives. The decoder/sound chip on Sound Value locos are built into the PC board thus they are not modular.

Hi Mr B, thanks for your answer. To be clear, if you re-issued the Spectrum Baldwin 4-6-0 would that count as a "New Spectrum Locomotive" and come with a speaker fitted and ready for a sound module? I note that previous spectrum locos have been upgraded in successive releases, e.g. the Baldwin 2-8-0 originally came with a solid tender floor and unhelpfully positioned weights, then got a perforated floor and re-shaped weights to accommodate a speaker even for the non-sound versions.

One thing I would really like to see is the Spectrum Medium Vanderbilt Tender (coal and oil) with a speaker fitted, as that is a real challenge.

Best Regards,
Bill.

Bucksco

Yes. Spectrum rereleases will feature the sound module setup.