News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Noise in Bachman GP's

Started by glsummers, October 10, 2007, 10:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glsummers

I asked a question about the lights on the Bachman Geeps and that question was answered. I have one more question. On the Bachman Geeps at slow speeds they make a lot of noise. After you speed them up they become more silent. I like to run my trains slow and was wandering if their are any upgrades or something else I could do to make them run silent at slow speeds. As always thanks for your in put. Larry

kevin2083

Try making sure that the motor isn't touching the shell. A thin piece of foam worked for me.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

rogertra

Quote from: kevin2083 on October 11, 2007, 10:38:24 AM
Try making sure that the motor isn't touching the shell. A thin piece of foam worked for me.

Excellent suggestion.

kevin2083

I learned from Athearn diesels.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

glsummers

Kevin, where did you put the foam exactly. Could you explain just a little more in detail what you did. I sure would appreciate it very much. Larry

kevin2083

I'm not sure exactly what you would call it , but the foam is about 1/16 inch thick (see picture-the type I use is marked with red 'X').I put it between the motor and the metal frame, and between the motor and the shell. At first I just put it between the motor and the shell, but that didn't quite work well enough (for my standards) so then I put a piece under and over the motor in the frame. It would be easier to just put one piece around the motor, but I usually don't do things the easiest way. Also make sure that there aren't any wires between the motor and shell.

______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

glsummers

Kevin did you get the foam at Michael's craft store? I am going to try it and thanks for the help. I was just wandering where you got it that thin. Thanks Larry

kevin2083

I got a whole bunch after my mom bought an entire set of office furniture. The foam was for packing. I don't know exacly where to buy it, but a craft store might be a good place to try. Another place might be at some kind of packaging/shipping place.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

kevin2083

If you can't find any, you can e-mail me and I'll send yo some for free.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||