News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

n&w j 4-8-4

Started by union pacific 4014, August 17, 2014, 02:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 4014

hi does the ho scale   spectrum dcc n&w class j 4-8-4 have a working front coupler ?

ACY

It does not have a front coupler at all since it is a streamlined locomotive. In real life they were hidden and almost never used, but the Bachmann model does not have one at all. I don't see why you would need one on the model anyways.

union pacific 4014

on a freight  model one yes i would want one ;D can it be modified to have one ?

ACY

I suppose it could be done but it would be difficult to do in my opinion. If you really want a working front coupler, you may want to try buying a model that already includes one or has a removable cover on the front pilot to install one easily.
BLI and MTH make such models but at a much higher price point (around $500).
I would still recommend the Bachmann Spectrum model because it is available at a great price point and is a good running and accurate model. It is not worth spending $400 more just to get a working front coupler.
As far as I know, in real life, the N&W rarely used the front couplers even on the freight models, and never used them on the passenger models except for things like maintenance related purposes. The J could pull well enough to handle most passenger trains without needing to doublehead and beyond the possibility of doubleheading for very heavy or lengthy drag freights on very steep grades they did not need to use the front coupler ever.