I'm brand new..... 2 starter questions....

Started by bruceg, September 15, 2014, 04:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruceg

Hi gang... I'm looking into model trains as a hobby.... I want to use HO scale...  2 opening questions..
1- what's the difference between " DCC on board"  vs. " DCC sound value on board. ....
2- what's the difference between " steel alloy" track. And " nickel silver " track ????
Thanks
Bruce G

Doneldon

Bruce-

Welcome to the hobby. I'm sure you'll find it to be a great one with many different aspects so you never have to do the same thing over and over. For me, that's the best part of model railroading. Now ... your questions:

DCC On-board means that the locomotive has a DCC decoder for speed and direction (and generally some light features) already installed and ready for use. You'll have to change the "address" so you can operate locos individually but there's nothing else you have to do. DCC Sound Value means there is a DCC decoder already installed which will provide motion control, lighting and a limited (but more than adequate for most model rails) set of sounds. For a steam engine that would include chuffing, starting up, bells, whistles, etc. The sounds in a diesel loco include the sound of the "prime mover" (the diesel motor inside the loco), bells and horns. Different decoders have different features. The main differences are diesel versus steam, how many options (like bells or whistles) you can choose from and how many sounds there are in addition to the basic ones. For example, some sound decoders include things like a fireman shoveling coal into the firebox, station announcements, sounds of brakes or wheels squealing on curves and so on.

Do remember that you must have a DCC system to operate DCC locomotives. Although most DCC locos can be run on DC (these are called dual-mode decoders), you won't be able to individually operate more than one loco on a given section of track and you will have only very limited control over lights and sounds.

Nickel-silver is neither but it has the right color. It's the best material for rails because it oxidizes slowly and it looks good. It could be a better conductor but that's not much of a problem because using a few extra power feeders will take care of it. Steel alloy isn't even as good a conductor as NS and it corrodes quickly. The appearance may be great but it is poor in use.

Again, welcome to model railroading. It's kept me interested for nearly 60 years and I hope you find it great for you, too. Please keep us up to date on your progress.

-- D

richg

Quote from: bruceg on September 15, 2014, 04:41:38 PM
Hi gang... I'm looking into model trains as a hobby.... I want to use HO scale...  2 opening questions..
1- what's the difference between " DCC on board"  vs. " DCC sound value on board. ....
2- what's the difference between " steel alloy" track. And " nickel silver " track ????
Thanks
Bruce G

Nickle silver is best. Steel can actually rust.
Just about all track is nickle silver, at least for the smaller scales.

You might run into DCC ready. That means the motor is electrically isolated from each frame half. Connecting the decoder can be an issue.
Some use a 9 pin connector.
Many Bachmann have a eight pin socket on a PC board.
Some Bachmann have a PC board with two metal clips. Remove the metal clips and solder the seven decoder wires. The pins are labeled.
Decoders come with instructions.

Ready.

jbrock27

Just about all track is nickle silver, at least for the smaller scales.

Right, except those tracks made with brass or steel rails ???.  I think what RichG meant to say was that just about all track manufactured currently for smaller scales is made with nickel silver rails.  Many tracks can still be found that were made with brass or steel rails.  I agree n/s is the way to go and avoid the others.
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

To my knowledge, no one else sells steel track that I am aware of. Brass as well as steel you find find at a train show if you go used.
Be advised, nickle silver still needs cleaning, especially with DCC. The slightest interruption and the decoder resets. Everyone has experienced that.

Also, there is a HO forum here.

I have always noticed that only the General forum shows up at the bottom of the screen. It is easy to think this is the only forum. For your convenience, take time to look all though the Bachmann website as there is a lot of useful information about Bachmann products and instruction sheets for DCC and some other products.
You can also search the Bachmann forums if a question comes up as you might find useful details.
I occasionally search only the General and HO forums. You can select which forums to search.

For buying, I usually buy from Micro Mark, The Favourite Spot for Bachmann locos.

Amazon.com sells Bachmann also. Many times, if over $35.00, they ship free.
Others here will have bought from a couple other online places. Very competitive online.
Have Fun as the Bach-Man would say.

Rich

jbrock27

Life Like also currently sells steel track, also found on AMAZON.  But I would stay away from it.

Also, not all brass and steel track that can be found today is necessarily used.  Plenty of NOS (new old stock) out there that is new and not used, just sitting around in its packaging waiting to bought.  Again, I would refrain from buying this stuff as well.

Good advice.  No matter what you do, have fun!
Keep Calm and Carry On

Martha

I'm excited I can actually join in on this forum! I am NOT a model railroader, I have a Christmas village with a ho scale train going around it. Trust me there is a difference. Model railroading/trains I had no experience or idea what I was buying or setting up, nor how to do any of it. then I came to this site. (a tad late, had already bought stuff) HOWEVER, these MR guys are great! I actually can give you some advice.

1. don't buy brass tracks. I have had problems with it ever since I bought it (going on 2nd year). I am buying nickel silver flex track just not sure what kind, straights, curves, etc. Go to HO forum here as Jbrock77 suggested. I have gotten tons of advice on that forum and waiting to get advice on the flex track. BTW jbrock77, doneldon and jward ROCK. oh I am told Jonathon ROCKS on electrical, having hit him up... yet.

2. Shop and shop, look and look before buying ask questions too. Once you buy well you are stuck with it and if not happy with it you will never like what it does or doesn't do. I bought a diesel (it was cheap on ebay) It does not fit in with my decor of my village so this year I bought a Bachmann Prairie, she's a bute, steam loco.

3. Plan ahead your layout. Not having enough room to set up a track as you want will only anger you more. Lesson learned.

4. Have fun with it.  Good Luck

Here is my Christmas village from last year and how it came to be.
http://youtu.be/kulQYLP7a0M

jbrock27

It is clear you have learned a great deal since coming here Martha!
Keep Calm and Carry On