News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

#6 Left and Right crossovers

Started by gehdoc97, September 17, 2014, 10:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gehdoc97

hello
I am a novice in model railroading and just purchased a left and right #6 crossover for my new layout design.
The instructions are not clear to me how you wire these especially when talking about them not being "polarized"
Can someone help me understand how to wire these to the switches that came with them and then to my accessory box?
I plan on having the two switches attached and using only one feed into them if possible.  There are also two black wires that look
like they are suppose to plug onto a metal tab recessed underneath the track bed - I am using Bachmann EZ track with gray ballast.
It would help if you could include pictures because I can "understand" a pic better than written instructions.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Gary Holloway

Joe Satnik

Hi, Gary. 

Are you running a newer DCC control system or an old analog DC control ?

Thanks.

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Hunt

Out of the package the metal frog in the #6 crossover is not powered. The black wire is connected to power the frog. Other wiring in the #6 crossover turnout shifts the frog to the correct electrical polarity as the route the train will take is changed.

I read you are using the Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center DCC system.  If the #6 crossovers are the remote type (Bachmann Item No. 44575 and 44576) not the ones decoder equipped then Click Here for instructions. The instructions are applicable to the #6 crossover turnout.  Be sure to read all the written instructions do not depend solely on the illustrations.

gehdoc97

Hunt
Thank you for the link to the instructions.  The instructions are for a turnout and not a parallel crossover.  Do the instructions work equally as well for both types of track?

gehdoc97

Hunt

Quote from: gehdoc97 on September 18, 2014, 09:05:26 PM
Hunt
Thank you for the link to the instructions.  The instructions are for a turnout and not a parallel crossover.  Do the instructions work equally as well for both types of track?

gehdoc97

Reread my reply.   ;)

Jerrys HO

First is to answer Joe's question, are you running DCC or DC?
These crossovers are not designed to work on an analog system without heavy modification.
If you are running DCC you can wire both sets of points to throw at the same time.
I cut the ends off of the green wire (leave enough to splice one back on).
The two middle wires need to be hooked together. The outer wires have to be connected to the correct phase in order to get them to throw in the same direction, it is very easy to do just twist the outer two together from one side of the middle wire and if the points throw in the same direction secure them by soldering are using butt connectors. If the points are throwing in the opposite direction then switch one of the wires with the  other side.

The black wire underneath powers the frog. It is not needed unless you are running small wheelbase loco's. On some of my turnouts I opted to power mine for my 0-6-0.
It states in the instructions the black wire is not needed in DCC operation and can cause a short. I only encountered a short in my yard area never on my main line.