News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

mad....

Started by rains train, October 14, 2007, 08:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rains train

Ok, I was an n scaler, and hair kept getting into my engines ansd ruined them(dog hair)  Now I've moved back to HO to try to prevent that...Now my engine is acting up and I need help, do you thinks it's hair again, or something else? Ireally need some tips on how to fix it...

Alex

This is K-10's Modle Trains, AKA...best place in the world!

rains train

Well my dog sheds alot, and my layout is at 44" off the ground. I really need ideas on how to fix this engine  :-[

rains train

well, i just built it today...i can get on, i have not nearly enough track, just started HO scale...me previous was a small oval on a small table, I'll get a picture of my current....warning, there is only a few pieces of track on it... :-[

rains train

I'll get a pic of engine, although my camera need to charge...

Guilford Guy

Did the engine previously run well? What kind of engine is it?
Alex

rains train

Ok, yes it ran very well out of the box (I'll try to get pictures in tomorrow) It's an Atlas Dash 8-40C (#7617)

RAM

I would say to take it apart and clean it out.  relube and put it back together.  Make sure that every thing is clean. Dirt is # one cause of engine poor running.

PhilipCal

Quote from: rains train on October 14, 2007, 09:08:31 PM
Well my dog sheds alot, and my layout is at 44" off the ground. I really need ideas on how to fix this engine  :-[
We have two cats. They stay in the house, but are banned from the train room.

Jim Banner

I came to this topic to see if the title meant MAD as in CRAZY or MAD as in VERY UNHAPPY.  While I am here, may I mention that my layout averages around one metre high and that I have not one but two shedding dogs.  Dog hair is not a problem for me.  And I suspect it may not be for rains trains either.  But it is easy to check - turn the locomotive upside down under a good light and check around the wheels and axles with a good magnefying glass.  If hair is a problem, that is where it will be.

While you are at it, have a good look at the wheel treads.  Are they perfectly clean and shiny or are they dirty, dull and pitted?  I suspect the problems is nothing more than dirty rails and wheels.  There have been numerous posting on how to clean wheels and rails posted here and they can easily be found with the search feature.  Hunt's method is my personal favorite for locomotive wheels as it is quick, easy and does not scratch the wheels.

If the wheel treads are also dull looking or visibly pitted, you have an arcing problem, typically caused by dry dust on the rails.  The cure for this is simple - use a tiny amount of plastic compatible, conductive oil on the rails.  There are several brands on the market including Labelle 108.  A few drops on a 3 inch sqare piece of clean cotton is all that is needed for a small layout - work the oil well into the cloth then wipe all the rail heads.  What you want is an extremely thin coating of oil - too much and the wheels will start slipping.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

bevernie

What did you do with your N trains??
                                                                                           THANX!!
                                                                                             Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

rains train

Woody Elmore

Reading all this stuff about cat hair reminds of a poem by Ogden Nash:

"The trouble with little kittens is that
       when they grow up, they become a cat."