News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GER's No. 562's penultimate Journey

Started by rogertra, October 15, 2007, 02:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Latest model added to the GER.

GER No. 562 was taken out of service and retired at the enginehouse in Berger Yard in Atwater 22 months ago.

She's seen here intransit where she's been set out on the "House Track" at Dorset Centre as the wayfreight crew thought she was running hot.  A mechanic will be sent out from the Berger Yard enginehouse to have a look at the bearing and slather it with grease and oil, enough to get her to Granville Junction on tomorrow's way freight and from there she'll be forwarded to Montreal for scrapping.

Sadly, in 1958 this has become a very common sight on the GER as steam is not expected to survive the year and railfans are swarming to the last hub of steam operation based around Granville Junction's roundhouse.

GN.2-6-8-0

Rocky Lives

RAM

rogertra

Quote from: RAM on October 15, 2007, 03:21:02 PM
You need to white line the numbers.

White lining the number is an  "Americanism", wasn't done in Canada.

SteamGene

Say it ain't so, Roger!  Say it ain't so.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Quote from: SteamGene on October 15, 2007, 10:06:48 PM
Say it ain't so, Roger!  Say it ain't so.
Gene

Sad to say Gene, it is.  After all, I model 1958 and dead engines were very common.

The loco is the partially completed MDC kit that I mentioned in the tender kitbash post.  It's the second non-runner "retired" loco that I have on the GER.  The other is an 0-6-T switcher lettered for a paper company.  It sits on track 1 next to the Granville Junction roundhouse.  I stlll need to add an airtank to the pilot deck of the 2-8-0, a typical GER feature and the front uncoupling levers which were missing from the kit. 

I've add some extra cooling piping from the scrapbox, just glued onto the sides of the airtanks and the piping goes nowhere but looks good.  Ditto for the injectors under the cab.

Although a non-runner, 562 is a free wheeler, like the 0-6-0T,  so it can be taken "Dead in Tow" the local way freight to the GER's main shops in Montreal for cutting up.

SteamGene

I understand, Roger.  VT&P's bean counting lawyers have been working on the "...only coal fired steam locomotive..." phrase in the charter.   If I can find the railings for a Con-Cor SW-9 they will find the solution and VT&P will begin to buy diesels (although right now it's a buyer's market for steam!)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

Where are the preservation societies when we need them the most?

Well done Roger.  Maybe too well done.  It brought tears to my eyes.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.