Taking the body off a Silver Series Ho 85'Full Dome Observation coach

Started by brucemc, November 02, 2014, 04:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brucemc

Hi I want to know if anyone here has taken the coach off the chassis of one of these Silver Series Coaches as I want to fit passengers to the empty seats on the top floor.

The body can be "coached out" a little in the middle of the body but not at the ends so there its either 1/ a hidden catch or 2/ its glued in.....

Anyone done this?

Its item #  13007 and its the Southern Pacific Daylight version and it seems to be the same chassis as the current  85' full dome version.

Thank you from
Brucemc
Wellington
New Zealand

brucemc

OK i managed to work it out, you carefully prise open the coachwork body from the centre and work to each end, pop it off and then using the same very small screwdriver prise off the windows after marking them with dots so you know where to put them on reassembly, carefully prise one side out and lever the top seating deck out.
Now you can get to the top inside ceiling where you can affix a LED strip array , I found that the best looking one had circular (rather than square) LEDs as these looked more approprate, I am looking at having a seperate small battery supply to feed the lighting which will also be recharged by the 12v track voltage,
The LED array looks best (in my case) with only 7.5 volts applied, otherwise it is far too bright,
I found that a 10k ohm resister in series was about right , the LED array was a standard 3 led lamp cluster and was a 12v rated one.
I intend to try out the above mentioned seperate battery system as I want the lights on all the time at a constant level  while on a non DCC track, and Im looking for a way to send this lighting circuit right down the train consist, so im looking for some subminature plug and sockets that hopefully will look like Westinghouse brake hoses....
Cheers Bruce

Irbricksceo

Wow, nice job figuring that out! Show a pic if you get that plug working, that would certainly be something. Just make sure the wires aren't so rigid that they derail the cars!
Modeling NYC in N