News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spacing Question

Started by tommy4u2, October 18, 2007, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommy4u2

I am building my first ho layout and have a couple of guestions regarding the spacing between tracks,

1.  My layout consist of a doulble mainline running side by side and need to  know a comfortable space between the tracks for the curve sections of the layout for passing engines and rolling stock dont hit each other  (Iam using code 100 flex track)

2. Second I would like to know the inside height of the Tunnels I will be buiding,( will be made out of 2 inch stacked foam) I see woodland Scenics sells Risers that end at 4 inches

As always Thank You in advance You Guys in the forum have been a great help
Tom
My Daddy told me along time ago if you cant say something nice to  someone don't say anything at all

Atlantic Central

tommy,

2" spacing in good for straight track and broad curves (over 30" or so). curves less than that are best spaced at about 2-1/4".

Overhead clearances should be at least 3" obove the top of the rail.

Sheldon

Mike

Tommy- For track spacing NMRA suggested practices, see: <http://www.nmra.org/standards/s-8.html>. For vertical (and other) clearances, see: <http://www.nmra.org/standards/s-7.html>. As you will see, Sheldon is right on with his information. I just added these references to put you in touch with the NMRA. While you a re at it, you might want to consider buying a standards gauge. It's very handy for checking wheel gauge, coupler height, etc.- Mike S.

SteamGene

All of this depends on the era you model.  If you have articulated steam locos, the track distance on curves needs to be greater;  if you are running double stacks, the vertical clearance needs to be higher.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

tommy4u2

Sorry to seam ignorant I am not familar with the term double stacks, I am new to the hobby and have so much to learn
My preferance is and always will be the diesels but since bachmann only produces steam locos with sound I might have to change my plan and run 1 steam and 1 diesel , As I said before I have a double mainline and there is a section of track where both tracks run side by side thru a tunnel fo about 5 or 6 feet
As always Thanks for the help and sorry about my spelling it seams as the older i get evan the simple words I dont remember how to spell, Bare with me I am sure you can figure it out.
Tommy
My Daddy told me along time ago if you cant say something nice to  someone don't say anything at all

Jim Banner

"Double stacks" are modern cars with one container on top of another.  Many railroads had to rework their tunnels to get trains with double stack cars through.  I don't run them on my layout set in 1961 because they did not exist at that time.  If I ever updated, I would have to redo tunnels and raise some bridges to get the required clearance.  But if you figure there is a chance you might sometime like to run them, then by all means plan for them now.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

r.cprmier

The height thing makes me chuckle a bit.  I get into New York state to work on a fairly regular basis, and it isn't surprising to see that some bozo in an eighteen-wheeler has managed to get onto the Hutchinson Pky (no comercial vehicles) eastbound, and hit that bridge at the Connecticut state line in Greenwich, where the Hutch becomes the Merritt Pky.
What a sight!  It is interesting to see what can happen to 60 or 70 thousand pounds of tractor, trailor and goods moving at 65+MPH hitting that  solid stone bridge...Free tuna or toilet paper, anyone?

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Ah, accidental damage.  I remember years ago going into  wine shop which had wine  bottles from a train wreck. Bottles that should have cost $20 were going for $2, and all they had was a tear on the label or a bit of mud still on the  bottle.
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

tommy4u2

Thanks for the info on double stacks I set up my tunnels today in foam, they are a total of 7 inches wide and 4 inches high, the curved double track that goes thru them are approx a 24 inch radius, to me this looks like it should be plenty of clearance
  My next concern is the woodland scenics Tunnel Portals does any one know the size of the double