News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ten wheeler

Started by dwbum, November 13, 2014, 02:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwbum

I purchased a spectrum ten wheeler at a train show this past weekend. I installed a decoder, adjusted some wires and connector and it runs pretty well. However, the head light does not cume on, it there a way of testing the light and/or replacing the LED without taking the loco apart?
Also, the tender seams a bit small for installing a sound decoder, will a larger tender work with the low boiler 4-6-0 loco?
Don

ACY

It sounds like you have decoder installed incorrectly,  try rotating it 180° and see if that rectifies the problem.

Doneldon

Don-

Most ten wheelers are neither very large nor beefy. They would look all out of proportion pulling a large tender. You shouldn't have a problem getting a decoder into the stock tender.
                                                                          -- D

dwbum

Thank you for your replies and hints. I turned the decoder 180 degrees and the loco runs backward when throttle is forward, etc. The head light does not illuminate in either direction.I ask again, is there a simple test for the head light; such as applying voltage to pins 6 and 7 on the decoder socket?
What are the loco connector position functions?
I beleive that the tsunami sound decoder tsu 750 would fit in the tender; need to work out location and mounting for the speaker.
Don

rogertra

Not one of my Bachman steam locomotives with a non sound value decoder has a working headlight.  Don't know why but there it is.

Cheers

Roger T. 

Irbricksceo

well that is certainly not the case for me. All mine have it, though soem Bmann locos have a notoriously dim headlight. i know that I blew the one in one of my 2-8-0's while working on it, never got around to replaceing it. Is that possibly your issue?
Modeling NYC in N

rogertra

Quote from: Irbricksceo on November 14, 2014, 10:02:26 PM
well that is certainly not the case for me. All mine have it, though soem Bmann locos have a notoriously dim headlight. i know that I blew the one in one of my 2-8-0's while working on it, never got around to replaceing it. Is that possibly your issue?

You may well have hit the nail on the head.  I only have one eye and need glasses for closeup work so it is possible I did something wrong.   I'll have better sighted friend check it out. :)

Cheers

Roger T

electrical whiz kid

Hi Roger;
I just looked at your layout photos.   Wonderful job.  Are you located in UK?
Rich C.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on November 18, 2014, 07:57:33 AM
Hi Roger;
I just looked at your layout photos.   Wonderful job.  Are you located in UK?
Rich C.

Hi Rich.

Thanks for the compliment.

No, I'm located in Canada.

Cheers

Roger T.