News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

manufacture N gauge 4-6-0

Started by charlii, October 19, 2007, 02:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlii

Does anyone know of a manufacture making N gauge 4-6-0?

brokemoto

Graham-Farrish used to sell a ten-wheeler chassis, but I do not know if they still do.  This was before they became affiliated with Our Gracious Hosts.  The chassis was not the best runner; it had three speeds:  fast, still too fast and not-at-all.

Maerklin may have sold a European prototype ten-wheeler a while back, but I do not know if they still do.

Someone sold a Casey Jones nineteenth century Illinois Central ten-wheeler a while back (clerestory cab and all), but it was expensive.  I never knew anyone who bought one, so I do not know how they ran.

Our hosts were supposed to put out a ten-wheeler some time back, but it did not happen.  I have stated my opinions on their 'reasons' for not issuing it more than once here, and,  in other places.

Rumour was that Model Power was going to do a PRR G-5, but that has not happened, either.

It is a shame, N scale needs a 'modern' ten-wheeler, although I would also accept a nineteenth century ten-wheeler.  Many nineteenth century ten-wheelers were rather low drivered, so, conceivably, Athearn could make a ten-wheeler out of its MDC consolidated.

Still, I would prefer a 'modern' ten-wheeler with sixty-six inch or larger drivers.  From what I understand, the B-mann was supposed to be a 'modern' ten wheeler with sixty-three inch drivers.  That would be a bit low drivered for me, but I would accept it.

taz-of-boyds

I need two nice 66" (maybe 63"?) ten wheelers for the Cumberland and Pennsylvania railroad.  They were home-built by the railroad in Mt. Savage, MD in 1902, 1903.  Numbered 27 and 30, renumbered to 9 and 10.  They were used in the passenger service on the little coal railroad until replaced by a Doddlebug in 1929 until service ended in 1942.  I have the Bachmann Doodlebug.  In the 99 years of passenger service they had no passenger fatalities (no this was not from memory, books are real handy...).  For the passenger cars, I am kitbashing Athearn overland passenger cars for the C&P in N scale.

In G scale things are much easier, the Bachman ten wheeler and passenger cars are well suited for basic kitbashing into the C&P service.

My kingdom for a ten wheeler, well at least some nice cash,
Charles

Williamson

Quote from: taz-of-boyds on October 20, 2007, 01:30:36 AM
I need two nice 66" (maybe 63"?) ten wheelers for the Cumberland and Pennsylvania railroad.  They were home-built by the railroad in Mt. Savage, MD in 1902, 1903.  Numbered 27 and 30, renumbered to 9 and 10.  They were used in the passenger service on the little coal railroad until replaced by a Doddlebug in 1929 until service ended in 1942. 

Charles do you have Deane Mellander's book?  ;D

taz-of-boyds

Williamson,

Yes a couple anyhow.  Without checking in detail again, I believe I used both "Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad -- Western Maryland's Historic Coal Carrier" and "Rails to the Big Vein."  Patrick H. Stakem has a nice book out too "Cumberland & Pensylvania [sic.] Railroad Revisited."

Do you have any modeling activity with the C&P?

Have fun,
Charles

Williamson

Quote from: taz-of-boyds on November 09, 2007, 07:29:20 PM
Williamson,

Do you have any modeling activity with the C&P?

Have fun,
Charles

No, just a lot of interest. 8)